Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They're not really polar opposites though. If I was to summarise how I see the Dems vs the Rs on these issues it would be something like this.....

Climate: R = Climate change does not exist and is not a problem.
D = Climate change exists. Perhaps we should look at making a few inadequate changes as to where we get out energy from.

Guns: R = No gun control of any kind.
D = We might ban assault rifles.

Ethinic minorities: R = Pretend racism doesn't exist. Stop teaching about our racist history in schools.
D = Racism exists. We should teach about it in schools. Maybe take down some of those confederate statues glorifying slave ownership. No rush though.

Taxation: R = Lower taxes for the rich. Make up the shortfall by squeezing it from the poor. Or don't even bother and just get more into debt.
D = Try and find a taxation level that gives the average worker enough money to at least pay for essential things like housing and food.

Abortion: R = Women should have no rights to bodily autonomy.
D = Women should have rights to their own bodily autonomy.

Equal opportunities: R = White male Christians should be given the priority in our job market.
D = The most qualified person should get the job. It's better for the economy.

Workers rights: R = No unions. No rights. We can hire or fire as we please. Maximise working hours, minimise paid leave. Call people lazy if they don't want to do this.
D = We should probably raise the minimum wage and try and reach a level of workers rights that is at least in the same ball park as other civilised countries.

Healthcare and social programs : R = We're gonna scrap all these in order to pay for the aforementioned tax cuts for the rich.
D = We should at least have some form of healthcare and social security for people without jobs.

Obviously you'd have to be either an idiot or a prick to actually look at the R policies and think "yep that's my team!" But to say the Dems are polar opposites just isn't true.

I meant polar opposites in terms of American culture and a mixed economy, what’s feasible. It’s a huge juggernaut with extreme poverty, impossible to right all the injustices.

Not the polar opposites of say pure Marxism versus alt-free enterprise.

Personally I wouldn’t underplay the D’s policies and genuine aspirations on healthcare, protecting special environmental or Native American lands, gay rights, womens rights, racism, gun control, aligning on climate change accords.

The R’s have shifted markedly to the right. Presldent Theodore Roosevelt, a conservative, a former hobby hunter I think, created the world’s first national parks. To conserve vast areas away from the hands of big business and thugs. Imagine Trump or Gym Jordan having that plan!

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Surely she should be popped for perjury?

If the satellites that changed the votes from Trump to Biden told Sydney to keep spewing the stol(l)en election propaganda then I sure it will be fine.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
We need to raise the level of conversation here -

• Firstly - I don’t ‘swallow information’ - I chew it first with an open mind
  • Secondly - my post referred to events that we all see reported on all mainstream news - not ‘lefty ideas’ but events that have happened- unless you think the storming of the Capitol was fake news along with Trump trying to undermine people’s faith in the Electoral system by calling the Election fraudulent? - or it’s fake news that far-right wing politicians are gaining mainstream popularity throughout Europe? or fake news that civil liberties are being radically curtailed and that politics of hate is aimed at blacks, Latinos, Mexicans, women, gays, Muslims etc or that Steve Bannon ex adviser to Trump is actively supporting Bolsonaro ? etc etc
  • Not everyone here has a left-wing political agenda and not everything is a Democratic conspiracy you know. Some of us are just pointing out the facts ( not the ‘alternative facts’ as proffered by Kellyanne Conway) but ‘fact checked facts’
  • Im not ‘insane’ to refer you to actual events but I would be insane to turn a blind eye to them.

PS I didn’t mention ‘Nazis’ and am not trying to prove anyone is one - I don’t use the word as casually as you seem to since it reminds me of a very painful part of history.

Why are the European politicians far-right? This lazy rhetoric doesn't have any traction beyond your political bubble.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Why are the European politicians far-right? This lazy rhetoric doesn't have any traction beyond your political bubble.

Duh … I don’t know, but some European politicians are!

I don’t even know what that means and what it refers to - but it sounds good - are you a chatbot?🤔

ps - if you aren’t a chatbot but you are a real person, I suggest you google the policies of Nigel Farage, Marie le Pen, Giorgia Maloni as a start …then James Hirvisaari too

“…now across western Europe, far-right parties are advancing: climbing steadily up the polls, shaping the policies of the mainstream right to reflect nativist and populist platforms, and occupying select ministerial roles in coalition governments.”

Some “lazy rhetoric‘ here for you

and more here …

feel free to rebut the evidence of the existence of far-right extremism in Europe with sources of your own …

Last edited:

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Trump’s verbal Gaffes

Trump has repeatedly attacked ‘sleepy Joe’ for his ‘lack of acuity’ but when you start totting these recent ones up, Trump’s mental acuity is increasingly under the spotlight

• Apparently Trump beat Obama in 2016
  • We haven‘t yet had WW2
  • The President of Turkey is Viktor Orbán, (PM of Hungary)
  • Hungary shares a border with Russia
  • Sioux City, Iowa, is apparently Sioux City Falls (in South Dakota)
🙂

Edit - And Happy Orange Face Day to the Donald

View attachment 168955

Trumplestiltskin is now about the same age as Biden was when folks (great folks, the best folks) of a certain persuasion complained SJ was too old to run for president

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Duh … I don’t know, but some European politicians are!

I don’t even know what that means and what it refers to - but it sounds good - are you a chatbot?🤔

ps - if you aren’t a chatbot but you are a real person, I suggest you google the policies of Nigel Farage, Marie le Pen, Giorgia Maloni as a start …then James Hirvisaari too

“…now across western Europe, far-right parties are advancing: climbing steadily up the polls, shaping the policies of the mainstream right to reflect nativist and populist platforms, and occupying select ministerial roles in coalition governments.”

Some “lazy rhetoric‘ here for you

and more here …

feel free to rebut the evidence of the existence of far-right extremism in Europe with sources of your own …

I asked why are THEY far right?
That means link to something what they said or policy not some other leftwing smear merchant. I am amazed that you breath unassisted, this is really basic stuff.

ETA
And you want me to prove a negative? They have the same policies as the Conservatives so no doubt they are far-right as well?

BTW

BBC is far-left, and referencing it is an appeal to authority fallacy.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The BBC is, and I think you know this, not far left. The Chair of the BBC is a government appointment and the DG is appointed by the Chair. Given that the UK has never had a far left government, why would any secretary of state appoint a communist to run the BBC? Calling middle of the road reporting like the BBC and the Guardian leftist is a tactic used by the right to try to pretend that any news agency that even attempts balance has a leftist agenda. It's utter tripe.

Referencing is also not an appeal to authority fallacy. It is just referencing. Referencing can be done with a note about potential bias, but given that there is not an academic institution in the world that would not accept a BBC report as a well trusted source of secondary research, seems unnecessary in this case. Unless you're of the view that all educational institutions, reporting of facts that you don't like and reality in general are left wing.

An appeal to authority fallacy would be saying 'My opinion must be true just because an influential or powerful person shares my opinion.' It has nothing to do with citing sources or referencing the reporting of news.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I am amazed that you breathe unassisted, this is really basic stuff.
Obivously the stuff about the BBC being left-wing is a classic right-wing talking point, it's clearly in the middle and is annoying everyone because it is trying to be balanced but I wanted to pick out this line. If you're going to be smug and arrogant, despite the content of your post, at least spell correctly. Correction in red, RIP Roy.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Tangentially related (since DeSantis is probably done anyway), but I still thought this was pretty funny:

There was a lot of discussion about his height on the recent live Pod Save America shows - I'm not sure it's the coverage Tiny D wants but it's nice that he's getting coverage.

Poor Mike dropped out without anyone particularly caring, but the jokes flooding in!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not been tuned into US politics for a while - which nomination do the polls suggest would most likely lead to a Republican defeat at the next election? Trump or DeSantis? Anyone else still running? I assume De Santis, as ridiculous as it might be.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Not been tuned into US politics for a while - which nomination do the polls suggest would most likely lead to a Republican defeat at the next election? Trump or DeSantis? Anyone else still running? I assume De Santis, as ridiculous as it might be.
In terms of who's qualified for the next debate on the Republican side:

Chris Christie, Gov. Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Vivek Ramaswamy and Tim Scott

Haley is currently on the up and is getting all the buzz. Christie is running just to take pot shots at Trump. DeSantis is an asshole who is sinking fast. Ramaswamy is super Trumpy, but nobody is going to pick him over Trump (not least because he's brown). Tim Scott is probably in a death spiral too.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Honestly, it's not even close. The others are doing it for the money and attention but the nomination will go to Trump unless he's actually been convicted and is legally ineligible to be the president. It's not a race of any kind.

Biden is being Primaried on the Democrat side but by a guy nobody had heard of before or is interested in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I asked why are THEY far right?
That means link to something what they said or policy not some other leftwing smear merchant. I am amazed that you breath unassisted, this is really basic stuff.

ETA
And you want me to prove a negative? They have the same policies as the Conservatives so no doubt they are far-right as well?

BTW

LOLz

ok mate :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In terms of who's qualified for the next debate on the Republican side:

Chris Christie, Gov. Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Vivek Ramaswamy and Tim Scott

Haley is currently on the up and is getting all the buzz. Christie is running just to take pot shots at Trump. DeSantis is an asshole who is sinking fast. Ramaswamy is super Trumpy, but nobody is going to pick him over Trump (not least because he's brown). Tim Scott is probably in a death spiral too.
Reports suggest that Haley's surge is heavily based on support from those who don't like Trump. Although she's caught up De Santis, Trump is still way out in front. Should one of the 91 charges or one of the several 14th Amendment legal challenges mess up Trump's plan to win the presidency in order to keep himself out of prison, it will be interesting to see how his votes break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here