Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
No it isn't. The difference is between a plea deal and becoming states evidence. Is that clear enough for you?
I haven’t been following this specific case but applying what limited US law I know - it is indeed the case as @Seagull58 says, turning state evidence is a common component of plea bargaining. Most criminal convictions are guilty pleas by the defendant in the US …usually to avoid humiliation/expenses of going to trial - A guilty plea bargain can avoid jail time especially if you have something of substance that can help the prosecution’s case against others:

Powell‘s plea bargain includes her having to tell the truth in testimony against those being investigated in relation to the Trump charges - ie turn state’s evidence

As part of her sentence, she also agreed to provide a written letter of apology to the people of Georgia and give "truthful testimony" at any future hearings and trials relating to other defendants.”

The prosecution must think she has something valuable to offer up if she tells the truth against Trump and others - a no-jail plea wouldn’t be given unless that person’s got something worth saying that will help the case against the others

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I haven’t been following this specific case but applying what limited US law I know - it is indeed the case as @Seagull58 says, turning state evidence is a common component of plea bargaining. Most criminal convictions are guilty pleas by the defendant in the US …usually to avoid humiliation/expenses of going to trial - A guilty plea bargain can avoid jail time especially if you have something of substance that can help the prosecution’s case against others:

Powell‘s plea bargain includes her having to tell the truth in testimony against those being investigated in relation to the Trump charges - ie turn state’s evidence

As part of her sentence, she also agreed to provide a written letter of apology to the people of Georgia and give "truthful testimony" at any future hearings and trials relating to other defendants.”

The prosecution must think she has something valuable to offer up if she tells the truth against Trump and others - a no-jail plea wouldn’t be given unless that person’s got something worth saying that will help the case against the others

i think the distinction I made is valid, they still dont state whom she will give evidence against and Trump lets rip at those he thinks have betrayed or attacked him and so far nothing. After the Muller Inquiry imo its all smoke and mirrors.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That woman was off the scales batshit crazy.

Remember those legendary press conferences, with her ranting about Krakens, Guilani with rivers of hair dye rolling down his face, the ‘Four Seasons Landscaping Company’…. 😂 😂 😂
Yeah - it’s somewhat questionable what a reliable witness she will be - However, Trump is now trying to deny she was ever his lawyer (if you recall, she was his lawyer when she was spreading election lies and when he promised to make her Special Counsel if she went after voter fraud.) now she’s pleaded guilty - it’s like I NEVER KNEW THE WOMAN! THAT WOMAN WAS NOT MY LAWYER! Puhleeese 🙄

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
i think the distinction I made is valid, they still dont state whom she will give evidence against and Trump lets rip at those he thinks have betrayed or attacked him and so far nothing. After the Muller Inquiry imo its all smoke and mirrors.
Not really - the distinction you are trying to make is an illogical one and I am not sure why you are pursuing it - ’state evidence’ is exactly what I said it was - evidence held by the state - if the accused, as part of a guilty plea bargain, chooses to reveal information to the prosecution that will help his case in return for a reduced sentence, that’s turning state‘s evidence - they don’t have to state who her testimony will be used against - just that it will - it’s an open invitation! 🙂

Hardly ’smoke and mirrors’, she’s pleaded guilty to election interference

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Not really - the distinction you are trying to make is an illogical one and I am not sure why you are pursuing it - ’state evidence’ is exactly what I said it was - evidence held by the state - if the accused, as part of a guilty plea bargain, chooses to reveal information to the prosecution that will help his case in return for a reduced sentence, that’s turning state‘s evidence - they don’t have to state who her testimony will be used against - just that it will - it’s an open invitation! 🙂

Hardly ’smoke and mirrors’, she’s pleaded guilty to election interference
Breaking the law by not having permission to check to see if the numbers had been doctored, some crime that is, a bit like prosecuting whistle blowers. What a scam.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Breaking the law by not having permission to check to see if the numbers had been doctored, some crime that is, a bit like prosecuting whistle blowers. What a scam.

You clearly have a position on all this. You’re cycling between denial “the plea deal doesn’t mean she’ll testify…” and scofflaw “well, just because she didn’t have permission…”

Society operates by rule of law. Who should understand that better than a lawyer? This individual has used her knowledge of the law to try and overturn a legitimate election result. She must have given up something absolutely gold to avoid all prison time.

I appreciate if you’ve invested time and belief into something, it’s galling to see it all being pulled apart, and the temptation is to double down, but look at what’s happening to the people who were screaming about stolen elections when their statements are subjected to scrutiny.

Alex Jones - full of shit
Sidney Powell - full of shit
Tucker Carlson - full of shit
Donald Trump - full of shit

There comes a point where it’s impossible to defend this in good faith, really believing it, and I’d honestly suggest that the time is here to hold your hands up, accept you were misled, and move on with your life.

If you’re not ready to accept that, that’s ok, nobody can stop you from continuing down this path, but there’s no happy ending here for you or anyone else. None of the people you’re arguing with really want to see you leaping from tactic to tactic, trying to defend the indefensible either.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
And Fox news add:

The rest of the defendants include former President Donald Trump, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, former Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Jenna Ellis and many others.

Even when Fox News tells some of the truth they don't always tell the whole truth which is part of the oath witnesses take during a trial. "the whole truth and nothing but the truth." I will crack up loudly when/if I see Trump take that oath.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

That is exactly when those numbers would have been doctored by Trump. You can't see that????? Jeez Louise, how come you can't see that Trump would absolutely do that???

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
FYI - Trump et al (including Rudy Giuliani ) are being charged under the Georgia RICO - which allows for 2 or more of the 35 crimes listed under RICO committed within a 10 year period, small or large by any number of co-conspirators, instigators, to be charged with racketeering all as one case - its usually used to bring down organised crime - that’s the seriousness of the charges Trump faces - a RICO conviction, if proven can result in 20 yrs per charge - Trump’s been charged with numerous charges - Powell only committed misdemeanours (as you imply ) but she was charged under the RICO case too which could have seen her do jail time - and so a plea bargain by Powell with her testimony could help the prosecution in proving the RICO charge of racketeering against Trump.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Trump lets rip at those he thinks have betrayed or attacked him and so far nothing.
1698103420810.png

Not sure how an election can be a German fruit cake often consumed around the Christmas season, but anyway here he is.....letting rip at someone he thinks has betrayed him.

Edit: Here he is also....declaring on Twitter that Powell was a member of his legal team....

1698104301341.png

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Erdoghan ousted! Deary me.

Untruth after untruth depart his lips hour by hour. But that is okay per his Trumpsters. He'll be telling multiple lies the day he dies.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd stick to the AI image generation...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Untruth after untruth depart his lips hour by hour. But that is okay per his Trumpsters. He'll be telling multiple lies the day he dies.
I know it's just Trump being Trump, but has a presidential candidate ever been so vocal and prominent before they've ever won the nomination. He just seems to hold event after event just to give him something to do and get all his supporters frothing at the gash.

What a cult!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You are in denial. She has agreed to testify.

here is the real truth, if she testifies and lies for Trump and is proven a liar she will go to jail for longer than any of the other defendants. That's enough to get her to tell the truth and to take a plea deal.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
FYI - Trump et al (including Rudy Giuliani ) are being charged under the Georgia RICO - which allows for 2 or more of the 35 crimes listed under RICO committed within a 10 year period, small or large by any number of co-conspirators, instigators, to be charged with racketeering all as one case - its usually used to bring down organised crime - that’s the seriousness of the charges Trump faces - a RICO conviction, if proven can result in 20 yrs per charge - Trump’s been charged with numerous charges - Powell only committed misdemeanours (as you imply ) but she was charged under the RICO case too which could have seen her do jail time - and so a plea bargain by Powell with her testimony could help the prosecution in proving the RICO charge of racketeering against Trump.
I think it's the result of her plea deal that she was only charged with misdemeanors. If she hadn't taken a plea she would have faced felony charges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here