Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Make sure you don’t forget to post ProPublicas hit piece on Judge Samuel Alito. Their sole purpose is dig up any dirt they can to discredit conservative members of the court.
American right-wing judges are like every other right-wing politician in America - lining their pockets at every opportunity (and sometimes up to a lot of other stuff as well).

And just so we are clear - the Dem judges are just as bad as the Trumpers.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
From the Torygraph front page - pinch of salt and all that but

Donald Trump supporters have published the names and addresses, with photos, of the jurors who voted to charge the former president in Georgia.

Until Trump shuffles off this mortal coil, the US will continue to be a powder keg.
Trump is not the problem - he is nothing more than a manifestation of the decrepit, decaying, cesspit that is capitalist society in America.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Make sure you don’t forget to post ProPublicas hit piece on Judge Samuel Alito. Their sole purpose is dig up any dirt they can to discredit conservative members of the court.

The simple point is that there is dirt there to be dug up. How can you dismiss it so tritely?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
There is dirt to be dug up on everyone, including you and me.
The whataboutism is strong with this one.

I feel pretty save in guessing that no NSC members are justices of the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

Nor do most of us have billionaire "friends" giving us gifts to make rulings that affect an entire country.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Knowing Trump he would probably die of old age the day before they were to execute him and take all the fun out of it. Lord knows he would have his lawyers file every appeal he could to get the execution pushed out to 2040 or beyond.
Even if/when he dies of old age or other natural causes, the looney wing of the Republicans will claim that he was quietly assassinated by the Democrats at the behest of Joe Biden or Hilary Clinton - and the really worrying thing is, millions of swivel-eyed MAGA-cap-wearing Trumpists will believe it and repeat it ad nauseum. These people cannot be reasoned with; they are too deranged, too extreme, and too far down the deep rabbit-hole of their own conspiracy theories.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
What should happen is that he is tried in open court and all the evidence against him put to him. In a normal society that would be enough to sink him but I fear the US is no longer a " Normal " country .

I fear that even in death the US will never be rid of him the Conspiracy theorists and fruit loops would convince themselves that Trump has faked his death and will return when the time is right. We will not be rid of him for decades.
Even if Trump is found guilty, they won't dare to send him to prison, because of the rioting which his lawless brain-dead supporters would unleash (but which they would blame on the 'radical Left' and 'violent Marxist Democrats').

Trump's supporters would make the U.S. ungovernable, with far more widespread and serious violence than the police or military could deal with - and I strongly suspect that Trump enjoys extensive support among the law-enforcement agencies and the military. The zealousness which the police usually show when arresting (and assaulting) Black, feminist or Left-wing protestors would be entirely absent if Trump supporters go on a rampage if he is imprisoned; much of the police would turn a blind eye, and the US would descend into near civil war.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
The whataboutism is strong with this one.

I feel pretty save in guessing that no NSC members are justices of the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

Nor do most of us have billionaire "friends" giving us gifts to make rulings that affect an entire country.
While on the subject…

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Even if Trump is found guilty, they won't dare to send him to prison, because of the rioting which his lawless brain-dead supporters would unleash (but which they would blame on the 'radical Left' and 'violent Marxist Democrats').

Trump's supporters would make the U.S. ungovernable, with far more widespread and serious violence than the police or military could deal with - and I strongly suspect that Trump enjoys extensive support among the law-enforcement agencies and the military. The zealousness which the police usually show when arresting (and assaulting) Black, feminist or Left-wing protestors would be entirely absent if Trump supporters go on a rampage if he is imprisoned; much of the police would turn a blind eye, and the US would descend into near civil war.
Apart from that though, I think it would be fine and nothing to worry about.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think we can say Trump is a massive problem AND there are massive problems with capitalism in America
Trump is more of a catalyst than anything else - the groundwork for the far-right in America has been consciously nurtured for quite a while - by some very wealthy individuals (e.g. Rupert Murdoch) - if Trump dropped dead tomorrow there would be a dozen more Trumps waiting in the wings to replace him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Trump is more of a catalyst than anything else - the groundwork for the far-right in America has been consciously nurtured for quite a while - by some very wealthy individuals (e.g. Rupert Murdoch) - if Trump dropped dead tomorrow there would be a dozen more Trumps waiting in the wings to replace him.
Broadly you're right, but you're also under-estimating the magnetic appeal Trump holds over much of the American imaginary.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Of course they support him - there isn't a cop in America that doesn't vote Republican - and why ? - because Trump and the Republicans allow the cops to act with impunity. One of the first steps necessary for policing in America is the abolition of qualified immunity.

Furthermore, America isn't the only place where the cops and the military align themselves with the far-right. In Athens half the cops are associated with the fascist Golden Dawn and the police in Athens have armed members of Golden Dawn so that they could attack protests, demonstrations and left-wing and anarchist groups. As late as a couple of weeks ago the cops turned a blind eye while Golden Dawn were arming fascists from Croatia who arrived in Greece and then proceeded to attack supporters of AEK Athens before the AEK Zagreb CL qualifier - killing one person and injuring hundreds. It was only after a massive public outcry that the cops were forced to act and arrest some of the fascists (AEK was founded by refugees and is known for the left-wing outlook of its supporters).

France is notorious for support for fascism within the military and the police - in the last couple of years both military and police unions have come out arguing for totalitarian measures to 'save France from chaos' - many of which have been implemented by Macron. Spain - same stuff - and the PP the right-wing party in Spain has its roots in Franco's fascist Falange (and many of its prominent leaders were members of the Falange). - Portugal - the same. Even in Northern Ireland there has been open collusion in the past between the RUC and far-right loyalist paramilitaries - and in the South the fascist Blueshirts of the 1930s had their powerbase in the Irish Gardai.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I think you underestimate what a generational "talent" Trump is. There are few that have his unique blend of malignant narcissism and total inability to feel any degree of shame.

Example: most people don't think of themselves as liars. Even when they lie. And the hate the idea that people will think they are liars. Because they don't think they are liars. It's cognitive dissonance. It upsets people to hold the idea "I'm not a liar" and "people think I'm a liar". This doesn't bother Trump even a little bit. He is totally impervious to it. When most people get caught in a lie, they try to come up with some justification. Something that makes it either not a lie, or makes it okay somehow. They'll say they are being "taken out of context" or that "wasn't what they meant" or something like that. Trump generally doesn't do this. He doesn't care if he's caught in a lie. Most of the time he'll completely ignore that he's caught in a lie and just keep on trucking. Most of the time, by the time somebody has gathered all the proof to demonstrate his lie, he's already a dozen lies on anyway. He will even brazenly continue to lie about saying things that he has been recorded on video and widely broadcast saying. It's FAKE NEWS. He'll just reject reality entirely when it doesn't suit him. He just chains outrage after outrage such that no single outrage ever has a chance to damage him. And then, of course, he'll claim to be the victim.

It's hard to see who on the right could possibly take up this mantel. Certainly not DeSantis who just so immensely unlikable. He fails the "would drink a beer with" test. (Ironically the last two GOP presidents both passed the "beer" test despite both being teetotal)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Democrats were also the Party of Slavery.
I don’t like the Republicans or the Democrats, I think US politics is almost as f***ed up as British politics. However, the two parties are unrecognisable from their incarnations during slavery and the formation of the KKK.

Blame lies with the parties and with the people who tolerate their policies.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sadly, you could well be right. 91 charges against him but still there is abject denial of him being a crook among his supporters. If only they could step back and see themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here