Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It was the Democrats who owned all the slaves. The Republicans were in the north and were against slavery. That is what the Civil War was all about.
Fascinating if correct and I did not know that.

My reading and learning for today is sorted.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fascinating if correct and I did not know that.

My reading and learning for today is sorted.
Same here. Never knew. What a turn around. In hindsight I in a slightly similar vein to the Tories becoming a force amongst the lower classes and uneducated in Britain.

Reactions: cjd

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A lot of Brits saying they can't understand why Americans would vote for a greedy, amoral, narcissistic liar like Trump - but they keep re-electing a Tory government. Not sure we are really any better.
A lot of Americans saying they can't understand why Brits would vote for a greedy, amoral, narcissistic liar like Johnson - but they may be re-electing Trump.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Same here. Never knew. What a turn around.
And it was Democrats who were mainly pro-segregationists in the south.

The starkest and fastest turnaround in the UK was over the EU. Labour's policy in 1983 was to withdraw from the EEC, no namby pamby referendum for them, and it was still broadly opposed to the EEC until the early 90s. The Tories, on the other hand, were firmly pro-Europe, with the few anti-Europe brigade being seen as nutters.

Within about 15 years, that had all changed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A lot of Brits saying they can't understand why Americans would vote for a greedy, amoral, narcissistic liar like Trump - but they keep re-electing a Tory government. Not sure we are really any better.
I don't think the Tory government is trying to outlaw abortion, censor what's incuded in sex education in schools, and planning violent mob attacks on the Houses of Parliament should they lose an election, do you?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I don't think the Tory government is trying to outlaw abortion, censor what's incuded in sex education in schools, and planning violent mob attacks on the Houses of Parliament should they lose an election, do you?
Give ‘em time. They just haven’t got round to that yet. The next election isn’t going to be pleasant …

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Don Jnr was bleating on about how unfair it was, trying to imprison and elected politician.

Seemingly oblivious to Pa Trump spending 6 years, screaming "Lock Her Up" at Hilary.

Weirdly the Fox News presenter also had a memory relapse.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It was the Democrats who owned all the slaves. The Republicans were in the north and were against slavery. That is what the Civil War was all about.

I don't believe it can be defined along those lines. There was also a segment of the Democratic Party in the 1800's that lived in the north and did not own slaves. It was the Abraham Lincoln lead Republican Party that was formed in the 1850's that were against slavery. In the election of 1860 there were 4 candidates for US president. There was a Northern Democrat candidate, Stephen A Douglas and a Southern Democratic candidate, John C. Breckenridge. There was also a compromise candidate, John Bell of the Constitutional Union Party. Douglas of the Northern Democrats thought that a compromise keeping the southern states as slave states and new states should determine on their own whether to be free or slave.

"What did Stephen Douglas propose?"

"In January 1854, Senator Stephen Douglas of Illinois introduced a bill that divided the land immediately west of Missouri into two territories, Kansas and Nebraska. He argued in favor of popular sovereignty, or the idea that the settlers of the new territories should decide if slavery would be legal there."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absurd interview with Liz Harrington, Trump's spokesperson, on Channel 4 just now. She just does what her boss does: refuse point blank to accept reality. It's downright terrifying. Trump needs to be legally blocked from running in 2024 and preferably locked up and the key thrown away. Else the lunatics in that idiot nation are perfectly capable of re-taking over the asylum

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

A lot of Americans saying they can't understand why Brits would vote for a greedy, amoral, narcissistic liar like Johnson - but they may be re-electing Trump.

NSC now lumped the two together properly!

1691090031589.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And also the Democrats that gave birth to the Ku Klux Clan

Interesting. I took a Buddy Holly music tour to the US a decade or so ago, 2009 in fact at the time Obama was inaugurated. On one of our coach trips in Texas I was particularly shocked by two incidents. The first was the coach driver diverting to a stadium and proudly boasting that it held the number record for a Klu Klax Klan meeting. The other was a visit to churches on a Sunday, no idea why we went to that, but there were two churches side by side. One for blacks and one for whites. Texas is hard core Republican isn’t it, so surprised to hear Democrats gave birth to the Klu Klax Klan.

My mind genuinely boggles that Trump has such backing but I am no expert on American politics

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It was only really the start of the Civil Rights movements after WW2 which saw the Democrats and Republicans swap sides of “left / right” (in reality hard right and slightly less hard right). It really increased with Nixon / Kennedy and Reagan doubled down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absurd interview with Liz Harrington, Trump's spokesperson, on Channel 4 just now. She just does what her boss does: refuse point blank to accept reality. It's downright terrifying. Trump needs to be legally blocked from running in 2024 and preferably locked up and the key thrown away. Else the lunatics in that idiot nation are perfectly capable of re-taking over the asylum
It beggars belief that Trump and his lawyers can seriously deny that he conspireed to overturn his 2020 election defeat. The footage of him sending his mob off to attack the White House is irrefutable evidence. So, TBH, is Pence's evidence (if he stays alive long enough to give it).

Deluded, mad, or plain evil - or just trying not to be outdone in shithousery by Putin?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure I read or heard in a podcast that the depositions of the key witnesses (including and especially Pence) were videotaped, just in case...

It's got to be the most open and shut case in the history of the criminal justice system in America. Very similar really to Dominion voting systems vs Fox News. They didn't really have to make any arguments, they just showed the footage. Everything Trump has said and done since November 2020 is evidence against him, he's got phone calls requesting false votes be "found", he's got Tweets and videos whipping up his troops and stirring them to action. There is no question of his guilt whatsoever, he did try and stay in power despite losing the election.

He will be in prison before the election in 2024.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Was that the one where she – or some Trump-supporting Doris – admitted that he'd been told he'd lost, but just seemingly chose not to believe it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here