Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Playing devil's advocate here, are they just doing this to stop him running again next year?

Pardon the pun but are these just trumped up charges?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Playing devil's advocate here, are they just doing this to stop him running again next year?

He can still campaign and, if he wins, he could still be President, if convicted, whilst in prison.
You'd have to feel sorry for the President's security entourage sharing a cell with him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Absolutely not. He has committed the same crime that other people have already been convicted of and served time for committing. The burden of proof is so high for Trump that charging him means they've got him absolutely banged to rights. They could not proceed with a case without being certain they can get a conviction and it's very clear he absolutely is criminally responsible in this case, by the letter of the law. Ignorance of the law is no defence against it.

This is the first indictment, but it won't be the last and nor should it be. He's been running around committing criminal offences for years and at long last, consequences are coming. Nobody else would have been so untouchable for so long. It's a great day for justice and the rule of law that he's being held liable for his behaviour.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Despite all of this, he's still 2nd favourite to win the 2024 election at 3-1 with Biden favourite at 2-1.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't see this case getting decided quickly, not even before the next election. The other cases against Trump are far more serious and will overtake things.

I'd like to think it was impossible for DT to get elected again but the world is an unstable place and lets remember he was 100-1 to be president in 2014

According to the world democratic index the US is already has "flawed democracy" status ranked 30 in the world, if he did win we're looking at at a further downgrade.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Absolutely not. He has committed the same crime that other people have already been convicted of and served time for committing. The burden of proof is so high for Trump that charging him means they've got him absolutely banged to rights. They could not proceed with a case without being certain they can get a conviction and it's very clear he absolutely is criminally responsible in this case, by the letter of the law. Ignorance of the law is no defence against it.

This is the first indictment, but it won't be the last and nor should it be. He's been running around committing criminal offences for years and at long last, consequences are coming. Nobody else would have been so untouchable for so long. It's a great day for justice and the rule of law that he's being held liable for his behaviour.
Thank you

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Have to laugh at all of Trump's cronies trying to claim that these charges have only been brought because his name is Donald Trump.

Stop me if I've misunderstood, but haven't very similar charges already been brought in 2018 against Michael Cohen, whose name, I'm pretty sure, isn't Donald Trump.

Cohen pleaded guilty in a case that mentioned him acting on behalf of his employer, 'Individual 1'. At the time, it seemed to most of us that 'Individual 1' was only avoiding prosecution because his name was, you guessed it, Donald Trump.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
what's your take on it, lenny?
Shades of Andy Warhol, Donald has well and truly milked his 15 minutes of fame.

As Badger Boy points out he's been at it for years, John Gotti in a different guise?, they eventually caught up with the Teflon Don so maybe DT will go the same way?

Locked up for the rest of his life.

Just seems bizarre that he won a landslide election not that long ago, so duped a lot of people.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

As Badger Boy points out he's been at it for years, John Gotti in a different guise?, they eventually caught up with the Teflon Don so maybe DT will go the same way?

Just seems bizarre that he won a landslide election not that long ago, so duped a lot of people.
are you familiar with the "duping process"?

do you see any paralells with boris johnson?

democracy is a fragile flower, dangerous times, indeed

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This absolutely is a test of the strength of the rule of law.

If it looks like going south, he'll likely summon his mob up.

Trump seeking to debase the judicial system and it's members is totally predictable. If he wins the presidency back, whatever happens, his desire for revenge will be all consuming

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
are you familiar with the "duping process"?

do you see any paralells with boris johnson?

democracy is a fragile flower, dangerous times, indeed
To be fair duping has been around for centuries.

Did Napoleon dupe the French nation?

Hitler the Germans?

Thatcher the UK electorate, three times?

Blair the same?

Only learnt over the years the JFK beat Nixon in 1960 via election fraud put in place by the Chicago Mafia.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
To be fair duping has been around for centuries.

Did Napoleon dupe the French nation?

Hitler the Germans?

Thatcher the UK electorate, three times?

Blair the same?

Only learnt over the years the JFK beat Nixon in 1960 via election fraud put in place by the Chicago Mafia.
soz, in the here and now. i meant the main stream right wing media and social media.

the flow of information in society is controlled by a very few individuals,

do you see how easy it is for trump and johnson to "dupe" millions of people and thereby subvert democracy.

trump and johnson were both pro putin fourteen months ago,

democracy is a delicate flower, indeed

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

It wasn't a landslide. He won by a few thousand votes in some key states. He lost the popular vote, twice. He has duped people into believing that made it a "landslide". It wasn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It wasn't a landslide. He won by a few thousand votes in some key states. He lost the popular vote, twice. He has duped people into believing that made it a "landslide". It wasn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
It's not like him to be economical with the truth...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My understanding is that there are optics at play in terms of the timings of the indictments/charges - ie they couldn't start with the "big" stuff first.

This is relatively small fry, but will likely frame Trump as a convicted felon (as that's what he will be). Then when the really big stuff lands, the ground has already been prepared.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Have to laugh at all of Trump's cronies trying to claim that these charges have only been brought because his name is Donald Trump.

Stop me if I've misunderstood, but haven't very similar charges already been brought in 2018 against Michael Cohen, whose name, I'm pretty sure, isn't Donald Trump.

Cohen pleaded guilty in a case that mentioned him acting on behalf of his employer, 'Individual 1'. At the time, it seemed to most of us that 'Individual 1' was only avoiding prosecution because his name was, you guessed it, Donald Trump.

Crooked lawyers abound…

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The reality is that the minority of people still blind to the reality of Trump will forever be blind to it. There are people who will defend him forever and a day but his crimes are catching up with him at long last and so they should. He is the most prominent threat to the future of the US, him and his band of merry men (and whatever Majorie Taylor-Green is) are a threat to the very principle of democracy. They are corroding society with their pointless and stupid culture war.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My understanding is that there are optics at play in terms of the timings of the indictments/charges - ie they couldn't start with the "big" stuff first.

This is relatively small fry, but will likely frame Trump as a convicted felon (as that's what he will be). Then when the really big stuff lands, the ground has already been prepared.
I get the impression that the charges already brought will get to court, at least some of them and, when the case(es)reaches court the hearings might well reveal bigger crimes upon investigation and cross examination. Remember the old saying ? " Always tell the truth as you can't remember a lie ". I think good prosecutors will tie Trump up in knots as he really has little recall of what he has said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here