Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There's a scenario I was musing about.

So there's a buy option of £10m or something, but Stuttgart apparently don't have it. Undav is worth more than that now. Is there an chance richer a club could lend Stuttgart the money for the buy option, then buy Deniz immediately after for, say £12m, Stuttgart bank the difference, other buying club get a player probably worth more than £12m?
I think Stuttgart now DO have the money - they've recently qualified for the Champions League, so if the loan to buy deal is only circa £10m, it's peanuts

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes, I don't know what the "option to buy" clause means in the sense of whether they have a fixed price if they want to buy him or whether it depends on certain factors or even whether we can decide if we still want to sell?

It was reported that the price would go up based on his performances on loan, but the option is Stuttgart's, if they want to exercise it there is little we can do to stop them. It's effectively a release clause that just applies to one club, and if they want to exercise it then it's down to the player.

It was reported that the price would go up based on his performances on loan, but the option is Stuttgart's, if they want to exercise it there is little we can do to stop them. It's effectively a release clause that just applies to one club, and if they want to exercise it then it's down to the player.
Thanks. That explains it.👍

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Going back to pre season footage he looked a popular lad in the squad and didn’t look unhappy at all.

That's the frustrating paradox. Despite the ' personal issues ' he looked very happy and popular on and off the field. Notwithstanding his great form now in Germany it would be interesting to know if the personal issues are still pertinent?

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Right, it’s time to call BS on this “personal problems” story. He simply wanted more game time, the club didn’t like this line in case his loan was successful. This is from the horses mouth

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think Stuttgart now DO have the money - they've recently qualified for the Champions League, so if the loan to buy deal is only circa £10m, it's peanuts
Last estimate from various articles was €20m. Widely reported it was a performance based fee which has been going up with the goals he’s scored. Still a sum you’d think they could afford.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Last estimate from various articles was €20m. Widely reported it was a performance based fee which has been going up with the goals he’s scored. Still a sum you’d think they could afford.
It would be pretty much doubling their record transfer fee. The base fee for qualifying for the Champions League is about £17m there is then TV rights money etc added to that. Additionally they get around £1.8m per win in group stage but £20m would represent a massive percentage of their base CL income being spent on just one player.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That's the frustrating paradox. Despite the ' personal issues ' he looked very happy and popular on and off the field. Notwithstanding his great form now in Germany it would be interesting to know if the personal issues are still pertinent?

I always assumed the “issues” were settling in a different country with a different language etc. Seemed he was home sick for Germany to me.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I always assumed the “issues” were settling in a different country with a different language etc. Seemed he was home sick for Germany to me.

For some reason I assumed that perhaps it was a family member ill back home

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Right, it’s time to call BS on this “personal problems” story. He simply wanted more game time, the club didn’t like this line in case his loan was successful. This is from the horses mouth

For some reason I assumed that perhaps it was a family member ill back home

Looking at the facts (and reading between the lines) is there actually any connection between his "personal issues" and his loan to Stuttgart this season? I'm not so sure.

* There clearly was an issue halfway through last season. He missed a couple of games at the end of December/start of January (Arsenal at home, Everton away) and then came on as a sub in the Cup at Middlesbrough and scored (and was clearly emotional, as was the reaction of all his teammates). The Argus reported "Deniz Undav, who had missed previous matches due to personal reasons, ..." Without wishing to indulge in idle gossip, this would all suggest that there was a personal issue he was dealing with (possibly involving a family member).

* When his loan to Stuttgart went through, RDZ was reported as saying they let him go "with regret". "Last year he was crucial for us in achieving our goals, but he deserves that chance." David Weir said Undav "wants to play every week" and Albion "respect" his wishes.

Sounds to me like the loan came about not because of any ongoing personal issues but because Undav demanded more regular playing time than Albion were willing to grant him.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Looking at the facts (and reading between the lines) is there actually any connection between his "personal issues" and his loan to Stuttgart this season? I'm not so sure.

* There clearly was an issue halfway through last season. He missed a couple of games at the end of December/start of January (Arsenal at home, Everton away) and then came on as a sub in the Cup at Middlesbrough and scored (and was clearly emotional, as was the reaction of all his teammates). The Argus reported "Deniz Undav, who had missed previous matches due to personal reasons, ..." Without wishing to indulge in idle gossip, this would all suggest that there was a personal issue he was dealing with (possibly involving a family member).

* When his loan to Stuttgart went through, RDZ was reported as saying they let him go "with regret". "Last year he was crucial for us in achieving our goals, but he deserves that chance." David Weir said Undav "wants to play every week" and Albion "respect" his wishes.

Sounds to me like the loan came about not because of any ongoing personal issues but because Undav demanded more regular playing time than Albion were willing to grant him.
And the irony being, with all the injuries this season, he would have played a lot of games for us this season if he had stayed.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I struggle to believe that the club will loan a good squad player out because he “demands” more playing time. Has to be something more and I can’t see the club making up “personal issues” and just agreeing to it. The loan to buy option is also strange if Roberto wanted to keep him here and only agreed to let him go for the personal reasons. It’s an odd one. Gut feeling is that he’s not coming back sadly.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It would be pretty much doubling their record transfer fee. The base fee for qualifying for the Champions League is about £17m there is then TV rights money etc added to that. Additionally they get around £1.8m per win in group stage but £20m would represent a massive percentage of their base CL income being spent on just one player.
Sure, but fees aren’t paid up front. The likelihood is it would be, say £5m up front. And that’s much more affordable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sure, but fees aren’t paid up front. The likelihood is it would be, say £5m up front. And that’s much more affordable.
I believe some can be paid up front. Barber has mentioned in a pod cast that transfer fees can be dependent on the structure of the deal i.e. cheaper if paid in one go, more expensive if paid over time.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I believe some can be paid up front. Barber has mentioned in a pod cast that transfer fees can be dependent on the structure of the deal i.e. cheaper if paid in one go, more expensive if paid over time.
Indeed, any fee stretched out over 2 or 3 seasons may attract a premium, plus assist us with future FFP numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here