[Albion] Danny Welbeck

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lallana is a fantastic player but the facts are his appearance stats are diminishing significantly season, by season.
He averaged 60 minutes per appearance(mpa) in 21/22 (25/43 matches) - 45 mpa in 22/23 (18/46 matches) and 30 mpa in 23/24. (29/46 matches)

He's likely to only be available to come on between 60 and 80 minutes in less than half of our games next season.
It's a mental decision, regardless of how "Good he is for the dressing room"
A contract on the coaching staff would be fine, maybe even registered as a player in case we are short. But not a £100K a week contract!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A contract on the coaching staff would be fine, maybe even registered as a player in case we are short. But not a £100K a week contract!
Agreed.

Personally I think he's taking the piss, not retiring.
He's forced the club to make a decision and they've bottled it IMO.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If club or RDZ think that having a Lallana or Milner on hand in the dressing room , or available for even limited minutes (alongside other veterans like Welbeck, Dunk, Gross, Veltman) - because they benefit from more than just their playing time , it helps with the balance of the squad, mentoring younger players (of which we have plenty) and coaching support (if RDZ left suddenly perhaps ? ) - then not sure why its seen as such an issue.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No I would agree.

But do you think either of them would have talked him out of retiring?
No idea. But they certainly must think he's still value for money if thats the case ( anyway - i guess we don't know if a contract has been offered or will be signed - just that RDZ has publicly said he'd favour it)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If club or RDZ think that having a Lallana or Milner on hand in the dressing room , or available for even limited minutes (alongside other veterans like Welbeck, Dunk, Gross, Veltman) - because they benefit from more than just their playing time , it helps with the balance of the squad, mentoring younger players (of which we have plenty) and coaching support (if RDZ left suddenly perhaps ? ) - then not sure why its seen as such an issue.
If the club are happy to do it - then fair enough.

Many believe Lallana and Milner are amongst our top earners.
If this is true, the argument that we can't afford wages to keep our better players, becomes increasingly hard to accept.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If the club are happy to do it - then fair enough.

Many believe Lallana and Milner are amongst our top earners.
If this is true, the argument that we can't afford wages to keep our better players, becomes increasingly hard to accept.
Club just say they have a recruitment model - which involves a sustainable wage structure and they stick to it. - Barber repeated this mantra again at the Fans Forum. (our average wages are - accordiing to the accounts - 53K a week so its hardly peanuts) So presumably that was the case for Milner and Lallana when they were signed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So - if he's been offered a playing/coaching contract on, say, 30% of his current wage, you think the club have 'bottled it' and taking the piss ?
Based on some high level assumptions yes I would.
Assuming he is currently amongst our top earners.... 30% is rumoured to be £30k pw

His body can't cope with the demands of being a player anymore -
30 minutes per appearance, in half of the season's matches isn't enough to warrant a playing contract at £30k pw. IMO.

He's looking for another season of player's wages to move into a coaching role.
He's been in exactly the same position for the past 2 seasons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Based on some high level assumptions yes I would.
Assuming he is currently amongst our top earners.... 30% is rumoured to be £30k pw

His body can't cope with the demands of being a player anymore -
30 minutes per appearance, in half of the season's matches isn't enough to warrant a playing contract at £30k pw. IMO.

He's looking for another season of player's wages to move into a coaching role.
He's been in exactly the same position for the past 2 seasons.
How do you know that ?
How much are the coaches paid ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
With Welbz it’s that classic problem. We need to upgrade, but he’s too valuable in terms of squad status to easily do so. If we let our only proven senior striker go, we’d be required to replace him with someone equal or better in the transfer market. Essentially sight-unseen because they won’t have had half a season or whatever to be introduced into the matchday squad.

What SHOULD have happened was we signed his replacement(s) last summer, and rotated them into the squad and if they performed, phased Danny out, letting his contract wind down with a handshake and a photo of a Spitfire.

As it is we basically have to renew because we have no established senior strikers, just two teenage Irishmen with a handful of games and goals between them.

I like Danny and he’s good for another year because we have no one else.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I would have no issue offering Milner a new contract. Up until this season, he hasn't had many injury issues. Of course, it could be that age has caught up with him but plenty of our other players have had injuries too. As an experienced squad player who can play in multiple positions, I think it makes sense to keep Milner.

Lallana on the other hand, I think has run his race.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With Welbz it’s that classic problem. We need to upgrade, but he’s too valuable in terms of squad status to easily do so. If we let our only proven senior striker go, we’d be required to replace him with someone equal or better in the transfer market. Essentially sight-unseen because they won’t have had half a season or whatever to be introduced into the matchday squad.

What SHOULD have happened was we signed his replacement(s) last summer, and rotated them into the squad and if they performed, phased Danny out, letting his contract wind down with a handshake and a photo of a Spitfire.

As it is we basically have to renew because we have no established senior strikers, just two teenage Irishmen with a handful of games and goals between them.

I like Danny and he’s good for another year because we have no one else.
I think he's good for another year anyway

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Naylor said previously that we were looking to bring in another senior player in the Summer, I wonder how many is optimal and at what point it becomes "too many chiefs..."

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I would have no issue offering Milner a new contract. Up until this season, he hasn't had many injury issues. Of course, it could be that age has caught up with him but plenty of our other players have had injuries too. As an experienced squad player who can play in multiple positions, I think it makes sense to keep Milner.

Lallana on the other hand, I think has run his race.
Lallana would have trouble winning the school sports day u10s race. Madness if we have offered another year and hopefully if we have his wage reflects his lack of 1st team football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports