[TV] Clarkson's Farm 3

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm, not a fan of Clarkson, either as a buffoonish TV presenter, or his reactionary Right-wing Woke-goading, Sunday Times column, but I must confess that having read a couple of glowing TV reviews of episode 2 of his latest series, and in particular his farcical attempts at getting his pigs to breed, I did watch last week's episode.

It is hilarious; his exasperated comments when the boar initially fails to mate with the sow, the reason why, and his 'delicately' explaining the problem to Lisa, are Comedy Gold, as are Clarkson's jubilant comments when the boar is eventually successful.
Just watched that episode tonight, it gave me a proper belly-laugh. Him and Lisa in the mud, trying to distract the shunned and jealous (fatter) sow with biscuits whilst the boar got it on with the smaller one, and managed to get its end away ("oh come on now, how long does it TAKE ??"), was TV gold, as you say.

Its just a brilliant, brilliant series. Endlessly fascinating with the crop planning, the machinery, Caleb, the buffoonery. Even if some of it is a bit staged, its richly entertaining whilst still being genuinely enlightening. As @clapham_gull said, its beautifully shot, the very highest quality production values. And one thing Clarkson is, he's a damn good writer.

Anyone binning this off because "I can't stand Clarkson" is really missing out.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It’s another fantastic series. The fact that he became famous by being so foully xenophobic says much about the public appetite for xenophobia when in fact he’s quite a nice guy.

(A mate of mine met him and said “why do you come out with this stupid foreigner hating stuff when you make excellent shows like the one about Brunel?” (Which really was fantastic). Clarkson told him to f*** off and walked away before a snivelling little assistant stepped in to say that his views were often only for comic effect etc. Hmm. Dodgy.)

But all that’s another matter: this farming show is brilliantly informative, genuinely hilarious and gorgeous to look at. Terrific telly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a strong feeling you would love it.
The content quite possibly but I can’t watch someone who thumped his own producer for not having his supper ready, and his foul misogyny. He makes me cringe or get angry. My choice.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Finished watching it last night, definitely one of the better series available to watch at the moment

abc

Jan 6, 2007
. What we don't have is a plan as how do we recover a proper balance in nature in the UK and unfortunately we don't have a government that deals with it honestly or transparently.

100% This. Humans have massively disrupted nature’s natural balance and we have to take responsibility for managing that. Society these days seems to be always polarised by single issue groups - in this case, as you suggest, the nfu, badger trust, rspb, hedgehog groups etc. All are full of well intentioned people (i believe) but none are balanced and all can make their own ‘truth’.
Therefore it needs independent leadership and that means government. Which is where i basically give up all hope!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Been excellent viewing so far. Am looking forward to seeing the results of the field they are trialling regenerative farming in.
I watched a video the other day of a farmer reviewing an earlier series who thought it would be shite but was pleasantly surprised at how good it was and how much better it was than shows like Countryfile and This Farming Life at highlighting everyday farming and the issues that they face. That can only be a good thing.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Going against the grain (no pun intended) here but i'm not really enjoying this latest series. It's far too staged, the humour is forced and the 'competition' around which the series is hung is just, well, boring. Added to that Kaleb has let the fame and fortune go to his head (first series never been more than 3 miles from the farm, now holidaying in Cornwall, and we know he has toured the country with his 'show') it's all gone a bit up its own backside. The only good thing that remains is Charlie. He is still brilliant. The rest? not so much.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Going against the grain (no pun intended) here but i'm not really enjoying this latest series. It's far too staged, the humour is forced and the 'competition' around which the series is hung is just, well, boring. Added to that Kaleb has let the fame and fortune go to his head (first series never been more than 3 miles from the farm, now holidaying in Cornwall, and we know he has toured the country with his 'show') it's all gone a bit up its own backside. The only good thing that remains is Charlie. He is still brilliant. The rest? not so much.
wow, Cornwall the big-headed so and so. Imagine if he'd been so affected by fame he'd gone overseas to the Isle of Wight!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
wow, Cornwall the big-headed so and so. Imagine if he'd been so affected by fame he'd gone overseas to the Isle of Wight!
Yes I was aware of that when I wrote it. Whilst I agree with your point I still think my wider observation holds water. Some (most) won't agree 😀

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Just having a short 2-day break in the Cotswolds [Broadway] with Mrs SS and realised Diddly Squat Farm was only 25 mins down the road.
So we took a trundle over there this morning.
CLOSED for filming ...

Tut! Meh! etc.
The Hawkstone brewery down the road next to Bourton-on-the-Water is worth stopping in for a pint or two if that's your thing. Good beer and there's some vaguely humorous Clarkson-themed stuff there as well.

Not sure if this is a spoiler as such but I noticed the burger van that was at Diddly Squat is now there, so I gather they weren't allowed permission to keep it there.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Kaleb has let the fame and fortune go to his head (first series never been more than 3 miles from the farm, now holidaying in Cornwall, and we know he has toured the country with his 'show')
A bit unfair imo. I think a lot of the times he's been difficult this season have been scripted to allow things to be explained to the viewer. When he was hostile to the Groove Armada guy for example.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
A bit unfair imo. I think a lot of the times he's been difficult this season have been scripted to allow things to be explained to the viewer. When he was hostile to the Groove Armada guy for example.
In fairness scripted or not he had a point, the Groove Armada tree huggers field made a lot less money than it would have as a normal crop. As shown in episode 8

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It’s great telly. Entertaining and informative. And great insight into the hard work of farmers for little or no reward. Looking forward to the next four episodes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Absolutely loved the final four episodes of the season last night, and am looking forward to season 4 which i understand they are filming right now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So before he probably earned close to minimum wage yet he's shown in the series how important it is for a farm to have a good farm hand that knows how to use equipment, dangerous equipment that most of us wouldn't have a clue how to operate, along side some great animal husbandry, yet you begrudge him having a holiday a few miles away in Cornwall ?? Every farm needs a Kaleb and a Charlie but sadly most can't afford them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It’s great telly. Entertaining and informative. And great insight into the hard work of farmers for little or no reward. Looking forward to the next four episodes.
You won't be disappointed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports