Brighton eye Onuora

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
BBC News Link

Whole story for those who dont click:

Brighton eye Onuora

Coppell is aiming for promotion
Brighton have made an enquiry about Sheffield United about striker Iffy Onuora.
Albion manager Steve Coppell has made no secret of the fact he wants to bring new forwards into the club after the departures of Paul Kitson and Graham Barrett

The Blades have also stated they want to reduce their wage bill.

Onuora, 35, has played for Huddersfield, Mansfield, Swindon and Gillingham and the Terriers are also interested in signing Onuora again.

The striker has returned to training after an Achilles injury ruled him out for most of last season

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Let's hope his injuries don't make him as Iffy as Kitson

Coat's on

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think I remember seeing Iffy Onuora score in the last minute to nick a point for Huddersfield at the Goldstone.

35 shouldn't be a problem if he's kept himself in good nick.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hart's shirt said:
35 shouldn't be a problem if he's kept himself in good nick.

You're having a laugh. When was the last time a 35 year old spearheaded a promotion charge?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
" Achilles injury ruled him out for most of last season"

Another over the hill treatment room local, didn't we have enough of this last year ??
???

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Simster said:
You're having a laugh. When was the last time a 35 year old spearheaded a promotion charge?

Jimmy Quinn was 35 in Div 2 when he was top scorer for us in 1994, and then was 36 when we came 2nd in Division One in 1995. Scored about 15 that season while also being player-manager...

Onoura is a good player. From what I saw of him for Gillingham in Division One, he's still got a bit of pace for a 35 year-old. Can't help but think that you'd be better off with Rougier though... or even both!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
If he's cheap and we birng in anothe ryounger striker he may just be there for a last twenty minute run out to nick the all important goals.

Thats where a 35 year old can be of great use

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Has scored over 100 goals in 300+ matches for various sides and might be good to have on the bench throughout the season, big centre forward who might work well with Bobby, who knows, at least this news is a bit more exciting, but how come the Argus havent got hold of this and the BBC have ???

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How old is Stuart McCall who played for the Blades in the Play-Off final against Wolves? Granted, they didn't quite made it to the Premiership, but he played a main role in their impressive season.

Despite being lower down the pecking order than Kabba, Peschisolido and Ndlovu, he could still be a half-decent striker. And age in a lower division should be even less of a concern.

If SC reckons he could do a job for the Albion, then that's good enough for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:

Err Brian Deane - Leicester City last year

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Beeneys gloves said:
Has scored over 100 goals in 300+ matches for various sides and might be good to have on the bench throughout the season, big centre forward who might work well with Bobby, who knows, at least this news is a bit more exciting, but how come the Argus havent got hold of this and the BBC have ???

Becaus eit hasn't been mentioned here and NSC is Mandys only source of information.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I must admit I know he's got a good track record, but it is WiltRoyal's Jimmy Quinn story that makes me feel a bit better about this.

I suppose Coppell will put him through his paces to check him out. Having been lumbered with Paul Kits-never-on and Humpty Butters thanks to Hinshelwood's incompetence, I doubt he'll want to make the same mistake himself...

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
It's not the 35 year old bit that worries me, it's the fact he spent most of last season injured. I'm getting that weird feeling of de ja vu already...
:(

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Has Kitson got a new club now by the way? I'm sure he has but i can't remember where. Super.... Super Paul!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Master Seagull said:
It's not the 35 year old bit that worries me, it's the fact he spent most of last season injured. I'm getting that weird feeling of de ja vu already...
:(

I agree with the Master!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports