Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackwell out for most of season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know it sounds like we're being stuffed but SC is a man of his word which is probably why he is trusted and players want to sign for him. Looking on the bright side, maybe one or more of the players that he is considering will take Blackwell's treatment as a good reason to sign for us. (Or am I'm being totally naive:( )

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bad News!! That is a large 'chunk of the pie' that Coppell keeps talking about being spent on a player who will be on the sidelines. In terms of a replacement, I don't think Centre Back will be too weak anyway. Assuming Watto improves, Pethick will take Blackwell's place in defence and there are Virgo, Hinshelwood and Butters as back-up

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'm getting mixed signals here,

Firstly we say to big Dave "sorry mate absolutely cannot offer you a penny more than the current offer."

And then we sign a player who we know will be injured for most of the season and be totally useless for us. On top of his wages we will also be paying for his extensive medical treatment. He will be pushing 34 by the time he fully recovers.

:glare:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am sick of all this bad news, this has been one miserable summer. Let's hope this doesn't cost us later on, just like last year.:nono:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
perth seagull said:
I am sick of all this bad news, this has been one miserable summer. Let's hope this doesn't cost us later on, just like last year.:nono:

Chin up mate!! It's been a far better summer than last year - we have SC as our manager.

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Mental Lental said:
I'm getting mixed signals here,

Firstly we say to big Dave "sorry mate absolutely cannot offer you a penny more than the current offer."

And then we sign a player who we know will be injured for most of the season and be totally useless for us. On top of his wages we will also be paying for his extensive medical treatment. He will be pushing 34 by the time he fully recovers.

:glare:

Guess it's just a matter of principles, not going back on our word etc... even though he is now a cripple. Yes, it's the "right thing to do" but have we really got enough money to "do the right thing"?
:nono:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
NO NEED TO PANIC

It's not great news but it's not the end of the world. For a start we do have enough cover - Virgo, Hoinshelwood or Pethick can all do a job in his position. We don't need to replace Watson. The abuse he gets is totally unfair. He'll be a good player for us next season.

When Blackwell returns we'll have a boost for the run in and when we go up we'll have a player we know is good enough for Division One and knows the club and players.

I'm not pleased but it's not a massive blow.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Master Seagull said:
Guess it's just a matter of principles, not going back on our word etc... even though he is now a cripple. Yes, it's the "right thing to do" but have we really got enough money to "do the right thing"?
:nono:

Sometimes sticking by someone can reep great rewards.

We can dump Dean and leave him with no job or we can put faith in him to return and do a good job. He'll come back with something to prove and wanting to repay the clubs confidence in him.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Icy Gull said:
I know it sounds like we're being stuffed but SC is a man of his word which is probably why he is trusted and players want to sign for him. Looking on the bright side, maybe one or more of the players that he is considering will take Blackwell's treatment as a good reason to sign for us. (Or am I'm being totally naive:( )

This is all a little strange! Bob Booker is quoted as saying that Blackwell has NOT agreed a new contract, and Steve Coppell only recently said that he expected him to agree one, but there were still some i's to dot, and t's to cross. Is Steve Coppell just being a big softy????

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We have to do the 'right thing' by Blackwell. He was injured whilst training with our team and a verbal contract had been agreed.

So we are forking out for an injured player who will miss 2/3 of the season? We did that last season and there was no accidental injury involved there !!

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Storer68 said:
No Mullers, he's just keeping the promises that he has made to his players.

Its just what I expect a class man like Sir Steve to do.

But is it going to give us the funds to sign a new striker? :glare:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yorkie said:
We have to do the 'right thing' by Blackwell. He was injured whilst training with our team and a verbal contract had been agreed.

So we are forking out for an injured player who will miss 2/3 of the season? We did that last season and there was no accidental injury involved there !!

Would he have done the righ thing and stuck to his verbal contact if Manchester United had come in for him?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm all for keeping your word, but I think this is a case when Blackwell has taken a terrible gamble and lost, that's tough, and we should cut him loose.

Footballers are beginning to take huge risks on not getting injured over contracts and playing til the end of them - the one big insurance policy you have against career-threatening injury is being under contract, which is why you might well accept one that isn't all you hoped for.

Blackwell was offered a deal by us, rejected it, had not actually signed a new one, and then got a serious injury. We have barely got the money to buy players that are fit let alone sit on the sidelines all season on big wages. It's harsh, but if he'd signed the first one he would not be in this position. Steve should not feel bad about it whatever verbal renegogiation may have happened, its the players/agent's fault.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's bad luck on Blackwell, but I'm sorry we cannot afford to "honour the agreement". Business is business. If he had been offered a more lucrative deal elsewhere (before the injury of course), would he be turning it down because he gave us his word? No, and I wouldn't expect him to, to be honest.

Strangull

Jul 11, 2003
Well at least we have Guy to strengthen the line !! OH FECK !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here