Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Aussie Rules Football

Nah. Pies were seriously misfiring today. The longer the season's gone on, the more vulnerable they've looked.
Despite all that tho eh, Carna Pies :clap:
Misfiring, vulnerable, but they won - its a lovely habit to be in, particularly at the pointy end to the season!
they're so good at just getting over the line. Better to be a lucky team than a good one :p

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've just been having a look through the AFL website as I really need to pick a team to support, & start familiarizing myself with the game, the teams, and the star players etc.....WHO THE HELL SHOULD I SUPPORT THOUGH?! With no affiliation to anywhere or anyone in Australia, its a bit difficult to choose!

I noticed as well that they all seem to have women's teams now, much like the football over here: so a question for our southern hemisphere friends...Is the women's game that popular over there, and does it draw crowds like the mens game does?

Im imagining in this day and age that its rising in popularity massively, much like other women's pro sports?

I've just been having a look through the AFL website as I really need to pick a team to support, & start familiarizing myself with the game, the teams, and the star players etc.....WHO THE HELL SHOULD I SUPPORT THOUGH?! With no affiliation to anywhere or anyone in Australia, its a bit difficult to choose!

I noticed as well that they all seem to have women's teams now, much like the football over here: so a question for our southern hemisphere friends...Is the women's game that popular over there, and does it draw crowds like the mens game does?

Im imagining in this day and age that its rising in popularity massively, much like other women's pro sports?
You've got a completely open field in terms of choosing who to support! Do you have a favourite aussie? find out who they barrack for. Tame Impala are Freo! Ange Postecoglou is a Carlton man! Do you irrationally hate Queensland? Dont pick Brisbane or the Gold Coast sides. Do you love blue n white stripes? Pick North melbourne!
Actually, don't, not North, its a miserable experience supporting them :) They are nicknamed the kangaroos though and thats almost irresistible
but with the draft system etc, its rare for a team to be shite for too long, you can always hope for an uptick in performance somewhere or other. I picked Fremantle cos i landed in Perth many years ago, had a look at the two home teams, and one was a smug, preening, successful bunch of arseholes, and the other was a downtrodden underdog who played in an excellent shade of purple. Its a no brainer.
24 years later and we've had previous little success (one grand final defeat, basically) but for six months of the year they're my lads. You can fault them for many things but they will always absolutely run their bollocks off and i appreciate that

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
You've got a completely open field in terms of choosing who to support! Do you have a favourite aussie? find out who they barrack for. Tame Impala are Freo! Ange Postecoglou is a Carlton man! Do you irrationally hate Queensland? Dont pick Brisbane or the Gold Coast sides. Do you love blue n white stripes? Pick North melbourne!
Actually, don't, not North, its a miserable experience supporting them :) They are nicknamed the kangaroos though and thats almost irresistible
but with the draft system etc, its rare for a team to be shite for too long, you can always hope for an uptick in performance somewhere or other. I picked Fremantle cos i landed in Perth many years ago, had a look at the two home teams, and one was a smug, preening, successful bunch of arseholes, and the other was a downtrodden underdog who played in an excellent shade of purple. Its a no brainer.
24 years later and we've had previous little success (one grand final defeat, basically) but for six months of the year they're my lads. You can fault them for many things but they will always absolutely run their bollocks off and i appreciate that
Well, I used to like watching Neighbours as a kid, always been a big fan of INXS, and have an old school mate who lives just north of Sydney now.
I see that the Giants VFL coach, & the Carlton captain, both share my surname too....but thats about it :ROFLMAO:

As my son is a huge cricket fan, and is hoping to go out to Australia for 6 months next year to play, maybe I should tie my colours to the mast of Carlton as they play at the MCG...and navy blue is my favourite colour 😁

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Essendon! When I first started watching the VFL (I think it was) in about 1984 Essendon were one of the top teams. Glory hunter I know, it's a bit like an Aussie switching on the Premier League today and deciding to support Man City. (Makes up for me supporting the Browns in the NFL!)

Now they've fallen on hard times and have slumped. Rather like the Browns I'm stuck with them though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

As my son is a huge cricket fan, and is hoping to go out to Australia for 6 months next year to play, maybe I should tie my colours to the mast of Carlton as they play at the MCG...and navy blue is my favourite colour 😁
I believe Essendon also play at the MCG. #justsayin

(But they don't play in blue :()

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I believe Essendon also play at the MCG. #justsayin

(But they don't play in blue :()
A bit like the Browns & Maple Leafs, the history of clubs always seems to be a factor in my choosing. Just reading about Carlton being one of the original 4, so thats good enough for me. Randomly, Carlton have just kicked off against Sydney Swans, and I've got the live radio commentary going through my PC.
Aint technology amazing these days?!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A bit like the Browns & Maple Leafs, the history of clubs always seems to be a factor in my choosing. Just reading about Carlton being one of the original 4, so thats good enough for me. Randomly, Carlton have just kicked off against Sydney Swans, and I've got the live radio commentary going through my PC.
Aint technology amazing these days?!
Have you by any chance got access to BT Sport (or TNT Sport as we must now call it)? They're showing it live. I watch most of the Collingwood games on there

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Went to East Fremantle (blue and white stripes) against South Fremantle in 2012.

Was supporting East (obviously) but the first two fans I spotted in their guernseys (as opposed to jerseys) had swastikas tattoed on their arms, which wasn't particularly pleasant.

Was wearing an Albion shirt and blagged my way into the South Fremantle former players' bar. The bouncers believed that this scrawny Brit played for them many years ago!

I like Carlton, they’re old school but not wanky about it. Brilliant self destruction streak as well, this is their first finals appearance in a decade so you’re really not bandwagon jumping.
Have a look at Alex Jesualenko’s grand final mark from 1970, it’s basically one of the best sporting things that’s ever happened, the whole final!
Plus you get to hate Collingwood more than anyone else, and that’s lovely

Went to East Fremantle (blue and white stripes) against South Fremantle in 2012.

Was supporting East (obviously) but the first two fans I spotted in their guernseys (as opposed to jerseys) had swastikas tattoed on their arms, which wasn't particularly pleasant.

Was wearing an Albion shirt and blagged my way into the South Fremantle former players' bar. The bouncers believed that this scrawny Brit played for them many years ago!
South Freo doggies! Love em, that’s my WAFL team right there

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You have to be Eagles or Dockers here, though I am a neutral.
I did come second in the footy tipping at my local and won $500.
It was my first season having a go, gives me some bragging rights even though I was just going by statistics for my predictions.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Have you by any chance got access to BT Sport (or TNT Sport as we must now call it)? They're showing it live. I watch most of the Collingwood games on there
No. I haven't actually seen a game for ages. I'm not really a fan, it's just that if anyone asks if I support an Aussie Rules team I say "Essendon", because that's who I cheered, sorry, 'barracked' for (LOVE that expression!) when Channel 4 showed it. Yer average plastic Big Six fan is a better fan than me!

hughfromalice

Sep 8, 2022
I barrack for The Swans (Sydney) who are currently nose diving at HT to Carlton 2.6 to 6.5... 18 - 47 in the prelim finals :-( Too many behinds!!!! Wrong side of the Barassi line perhaps??? :) An interesting point: AFL is just about the only code in remote Aboriginal communities, such as Central Australia. They play a fast and furious, yet elegant, brand of footy that is fun to watch!!!

You have to be Eagles or Dockers here, though I am a neutral.
I did come second in the footy tipping at my local and won $500.
It was my first season having a go, gives me some bragging rights even though I was just going by statistics for my predictions.
i know i'm a little biased perhaps, but coming to the sport unanointed, i cant imagine a single decent human taking the drug cheat shitbag weagle bastards ahead of the saintly, handsome, wonderful dockers :LOL:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've just been having a look at the UK Aussie Rules league, and see that Brighton has its own team...the Sussex Swans!
Looks like they train & play games in various places around town (Preston Park, East Brighton Park, Brighton Uni in the shadow of the Amex!) and have their E.o.S presentation night down at the King & Queen tonight.
May have to get along to some games next season...Go Swans!

1521588.jpg

hoody_logo_4.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The first rule of Aussie Rules Football:
There are no rules.

The second rule of Aussie Rules Football:
There are no rules.

hughfromalice

Sep 8, 2022
I've just been having a look at the UK Aussie Rules league, and see that Brighton has its own team...the Sussex Swans!
Looks like they train & play games in various places around town (Preston Park, East Brighton Park, Brighton Uni in the shadow of the Amex!) and have their E.o.S presentation night down at the King & Queen tonight.
May have to get along to some games next season...Go Swans!

View attachment 166131
View attachment 166132
Nice one!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here