Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aston Villa. Taxi for Lambert ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Lambert obviously didn't approve of Bents attitude. Who's fault that is who knows. One things for sure though you ideally keep your best player on side. Lambert & Villa have lost out as a result

He's not the first manager to have a problem with Bent though. Bent can finish well, but he doesn't add much else. There was a graphic on sky sports recently that showed he had one of the three fewests "touches of the ball per game" stats. It seems accepted by most that he doesn't do a lot of work he just gets on the end of things. If you're struggling to get the ball out of defence/midfield, you need a forward who can do more than just poke it home.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The new Leeds (champions of Europe)

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
He's not the first manager to have a problem with Bent though. Bent can finish well, but he doesn't add much else. There was a graphic on sky sports recently that showed he had one of the three fewests "touches of the ball per game" stats. It seems accepted by most that he doesn't do a lot of work he just gets on the end of things. If you're struggling to get the ball out of defence/midfield, you need a forward who can do more than just poke it home.

Fair point. But we're also talking about a £24 million striker with a proven Premier league scoring record. You get the ball up to him & he scores. Perhaps Lambert saw this lazy side & felt the cons outweighed the pros. Problem is now though Villa are struggling & Bents value is decreasing rapidly. Villa have major problems

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
History seems to be painting Martin O'Neill as a bad manager but he basically did for Villa what Moyes has done for Everton, and the media love Moyes. Three 6th place finishes in a row now seems a world away. I'm also surprised that Lambert opted for Villa when star man Bent was not his cup of tea. You take that job you either work with him or sell him.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But Moyes hasn't bankrupted Everton with poor and very expensive signings, then run away (unlike O'Neill at Villa)

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
History seems to be painting Martin O'Neill as a bad manager but he basically did for Villa what Moyes has done for Everton, and the media love Moyes. Three 6th place finishes in a row now seems a world away. I'm also surprised that Lambert opted for Villa when star man Bent was not his cup of tea. You take that job you either work with him or sell him.

O'Neill did a good job. Moyes is doing a great job

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
But Moyes hasn't bankrupted Everton with poor and very expensive signings, then run away (unlike O'Neill at Villa)

O'Neill wanted to take Villa further but was never going to be given the extra funds. As if he wasnt given enough. So he bails & ends up at Sunderland?? I agree he pretty much ran away

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poor and expensive signings? Friedel in goal, England players Luke Young and Nicky Shorey, ROI international Richard Dunne, Milner, Downing, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Heskey, Stilian Petrov, Sidwell, Bouma? Yeah, real rubbish...

And how is four seasons of solid progress "running away"? Any manager would have been happy to inherit that squad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't see Lambert getting the boot before the end of the season - and could even survive a relegation. Lerner and the board know that Villa are skint and he has to make do with what he's got. I still think they'll survive but it will be touch and go. After all, McLeish survived a whole season and he got a heap load of abuse from the fans.

Still, think it was a bizarre decision to go there though - Norwich looked a much more secure gig.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thieving Scrotes (thankyou to the club)

Came out at the end of the game to find that my wife's wheelchair which is padlocked in the bike rack had been stolen. A WHEELCHAIR!

Experience of life tells you it had to be kids "having a laugh" and so it proved as cctv showed some of the local youth pushing off towards Moulscomb and then back up round the vack of the west stand while the match was in progress. Thankfully they just dumped it and the club security staff and police were fantastic. The club lent us a chair so we could get back to the carpark and immediately reviewed the cctv and sent stewards to help the police recover it with only a broken padlock and a damaged wheel and footrest to sort out. We were on our way home within an hour.

Unfortunately my wife has been greatly distressed crying for most of the three hour journey home. As it stands it is going to take a lot to get her to come to another game.

Stealing a wheelchair? I f***ing ask you.....it's hardly as if there could be any doubt about its use and the owners' need :rant: Scum is too nice to describe them.

Thanks though to the club staff and especially the police in attendance. They were lovely and I cannot speak highly enough of them :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
O'Neill wanted to take Villa further but was never going to be given the extra funds. As if he wasnt given enough. So he bails & ends up at Sunderland?? I agree he pretty much ran away

Why should Lerner have to add to the £200m he PERSONALLY invested in Villa? What arrogance.

Clubs like Swansea, Everton, Arsenal, have succeeded in the PL without the emphasis on buying above their station by ONeill.

Not only on fees, ONeill saddled them with colossal wages compared to turnover, generating huge losses.

Lerner said enough was enough.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
alright mate. fair enough - we feel for you - but there's no need to post this twice.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Saints pen was never a dive.. there wasn't any contact tho :wanker:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Came out at the end of the game to find that my wife's wheelchair which is padlocked in the bike rack had been stolen. A WHEELCHAIR!

Experience of life tells you it had to be kids "having a laugh" and so it proved as cctv showed some of the local youth pushing off towards Moulscomb and then back up round the vack of the west stand while the match was in progress. Thankfully they just dumped it and the club security staff and police were fantastic. The club lent us a chair so we could get back to the carpark and immediately reviewed the cctv and sent stewards to help the police recover it with only a broken padlock and a damaged wheel and footrest to sort out. We were on our way home within an hour.

Unfortunately my wife has been greatly distressed crying for most of the three hour journey home. As it stands it is going to take a lot to get her to come to another game.

Stealing a wheelchair? I f***ing ask you.....it's hardly as if there could be any doubt about its use and the owners' need :rant: Scum is too nice to describe them.

Thanks though to the club staff and especially the police in attendance. They were lovely and I cannot speak highly enough of them :thumbsup:

Are there no stewards/police floating around outside the ground during matches?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here