Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
And you think they must be cheating to attain those better averages. It's a bit weird to be honest.

If anyone wanted to cheat, they could do so and have a better average than mine. Do you think Guy Fawkes is cheating his way to second place glory?

I am not suggesting that anyone is deliberately cheating at all.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Wordle 356 4/6

⬜⬜��⬜��
⬜��⬜��⬜
⬜����⬜⬜
����������

Sorry I'm late! missing an update too I think..4 yesterday and today..
Streak is 29, best is 50, , 116/463, average of 3.99 still..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I understand a degree of suspicion, but if I understand the system of at least one of those at the top, their system is based on being able to eliminate common word endings and beginnings for the five letter format.

E.g. my usual starter word doesn’t contain an ‘h’ - but if it did, and it wasn’t present, I’ve ruled out words ending or starting with ‘ch’, ‘gh’, ‘th’ ‘sh’ which is quite a few in the five letter format. It’s clearly a system with merit.

My approach is far more gung-ho, I sometimes deviate from my usual starter word, and generally my approach seems to work quite well for me, but means I occasionally wreck my streak by striking out completely.

If there are people who are regularly being pointed at the right answer by their social network, that’s disappointing, but for their conscience. I’ve had it happen to me inadvertently, and it’s annoying coz you can’t unhear/unsee something once it’s gone in. I fess up when its happened though.

So, in conclusion, why the hell am I not using a word with an ‘h’ in as my starter word? [emoji2957]

I don’t have a system or a start word, I just lob in something that springs to mind at the time - so logic (given my relegation fodder position in the table) indicates a system is more effective (I also play a lot of other word games, do crosswords etc so have what I think is a reasonable vocabulary). I’m sure there are people out there that look on SM for clues, and I also chuckle at people posting on FB that they are ‘on fire today’ for getting a 1 or 2 when those scores are mostly luck (certainly the 1s are). Impressed by those avoiding fails and maintaining unbroken streaks - that too involves a fair degree of luck (one of my fails for example was (I think) ‘watch’ and I had -atch after 3 but there were still too many options (b,c,h,l,m,p,w at least).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t have a system or a start word, I just lob in something that springs to mind at the time - so logic (given my relegation fodder position in the table) indicates a system is more effective (I also play a lot of other word games, do crosswords etc so have what I think is a reasonable vocabulary). I’m sure there are people out there that look on SM for clues, and I also chuckle at people posting on FB that they are ‘on fire today’ for getting a 1 or 2 when those scores are mostly luck (certainly the 1s are). Impressed by those avoiding fails and maintaining unbroken streaks - that too involves a fair degree of luck (one of my fails for example was (I think) ‘watch’ and I had -atch after 3 but there were still too many options (b,c,h,l,m,p,w at least).

I use the same starter 99% of the time, it hasn't been great recently but I am a creature of habit...and an also ran on NSC Worlde!!

I do it first thing in the morning with a coffee and don't look on here or anywhere else for a clue, that IS cheating imo.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
So pleased with that 3 today - as ever, lucky in that I had eliminated so many possibilities with the first 2 guesses.

Wordle 356 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Streak=170 Average=3.76

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I managed a 5 today, was expecting the letters to shake as I was fairly clueless and stabbing in the dark.

I'm not in the "competition" because I don't play everyday although I try to and I use multiple devices so can't keep track, otherwise I'm sure I would be top of the table :)

I have a starter word. I used to try "topical" words such as HEART on Feb 14th but I then found out the answers are all predetermined so stopped that.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I understand a degree of suspicion, but if I understand the system of at least one of those at the top, their system is based on being able to eliminate common word endings and beginnings for the five letter format.

E.g. my usual starter word doesn’t contain an ‘h’ - but if it did, and it wasn’t present, I’ve ruled out words ending or starting with ‘ch’, ‘gh’, ‘th’ ‘sh’ which is quite a few in the five letter format. It’s clearly a system with merit.

My approach is far more gung-ho, I sometimes deviate from my usual starter word, and generally my approach seems to work quite well for me, but means I occasionally wreck my streak by striking out completely.

If there are people who are regularly being pointed at the right answer by their social network, that’s disappointing, but for their conscience. I’ve had it happen to me inadvertently, and it’s annoying coz you can’t unhear/unsee something once it’s gone in. I fess up when its happened though.

So, in conclusion, why the hell am I not using a word with an ‘h’ in as my starter word? [emoji2957]

I'm fortunate that I have no social network :lolol:

I have a word document listing every answer that has come up so far, plus a long list of words that have yet to come up. I consult it. Has it helped me?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Par 4
Streak 52
399 / 109 = 3.66 avg

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
A third of the way through the June Cup and here is an update:
Goldstone 1976, super-seagulls and dazzer6666 doing well compared to their overall average and position in the main league table.View attachment 148761 Screenshot_20220610-204221.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wordle 357 3/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bit buggered, Wordle on the link I have been using from day one has stopped working and I don’t have a note of games played and scores so can no longer work out my average. I’ll have to come off the daily update as I am now top of the table with my one game :smile:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Wordle 357 3/6

����⬜⬜��
⬜��⬜����
����������

Bit buggered, Wordle on the link I have been using from day one has stopped working and I don’t have a note of games played and scores so can no longer work out my average. I’ll have to come off the daily update as I am now top of the table with my one game :smile:

Have you been working out your average using your phone's calculator? If so, there'll be a record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here