Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Wordle 340 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜����⬜��
������⬜��
⬜��������
⬜��������
����������
Well that was frustrating; a wild drive with a great recovery for a chance of a par, but ...
Streak is 17, 103/411 with an average of 3.99!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wordle 340 5/6

����⬜⬜⬜
⬜��⬜⬜��
⬜��������
⬜��������
����������

You have been dropped off the league table, TB. You need to update your average!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have been dropped off the league table, TB. You need to update your average!

It's not worth it. I seem to hover between 3.94 and 4.00 so not worth working out anymore. I'll just post until I reach my 100 streak.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
It's not worth it. I seem to hover between 3.94 and 4.00 so not worth working out anymore. I'll just post until I reach my 100 streak.

That’s the thing about averages, they average out over time. I seem to gravitate toward 3.79 as an average, occasionally below, but then a failure and a run of high scores and I spend some time in the 3.8x’s.

I was wondering (purely a suggestion and dependent on both [MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]BrightonBear’s willingness and general group approval) whether we should reset at the start of each football season (clear cookies etc.) and make it an annual thing, or whether people had had enough and were considering quitting.

I have to suppress a childish urge to quit every time I strike out completely, but Wordle is a (mostly) pleasant diversion that can be fitted into most days. I don’t want to sign TBB up for a lifetime of this though, and wouldn’t have the time to reliably manage it myself.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Apologies for not posting updates for a few days - 4 today (3 Monday, 4 Tuesday)

Streak=154, average=3.79

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
I must admit that I have some very strong feelings about this entire thread. I know that people aren't being completely honest about how they have achieved their magnificent averages only because they have openly admitted to looking at this thread prior to posting their update, others have said that they "happened" to see a friend's comment on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram et al so they managed to get it right on their first attempt (more than once).

I consider myself to have a good vocabulary and I know that this game is based on luck, especially if you use Hard mode, but the amount of "inspired" guesses by some posters is beyond belief. There are some days when I have thought "sod this" but I have taken a deep breath, a swig of tea and thought that I shouldn't let something like this wind me up.

I have played 149 games and I have failed 4 times and I can fully understand the pride of those who have gone beyond a winning streak of 150+, I would imagine the thought of resetting their streak at a certain point might not get their vote.

I took this on over four months ago and I have my little rants but it is good to hear the opinions of others, I am open to any suggestions and I would like to hear anyone's suggestions for improvements.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I must admit that I have some very strong feelings about this entire thread. I know that people aren't being completely honest about how they have achieved their magnificent averages only because they have openly admitted to looking at this thread prior to posting their update, others have said that they "happened" to see a friend's comment on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram et al so they managed to get it right on their first attempt (more than once).

I consider myself to have a good vocabulary and I know that this game is based on luck, especially if you use Hard mode, but the amount of "inspired" guesses by some posters is beyond belief. There are some days when I have thought "sod this" but I have taken a deep breath, a swig of tea and thought that I shouldn't let something like this wind me up.

I have played 149 games and I have failed 4 times and I can fully understand the pride of those who have gone beyond a winning streak of 150+, I would imagine the thought of resetting their streak at a certain point might not get their vote.

I took this on over four months ago and I have my little rants but it is good to hear the opinions of others, I am open to any suggestions and I would like to hear anyone's suggestions for improvements.

Just wanted to hop back on and say thank you for your work on managing this thread, something I shamefully failed to do in my earlier post.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Dear Mr. Bear,
You've shown great committment publishing the league table, thanks for all of your input.
I would like to suggest a monthly league table, renewing each month, based solely on average, starting on the first day of the month and finishing on the last day.
With the current system, the more games you play, the less your average can change. With a new table each month, you have more chance of moving up and down, and so making things a bit more fluid and exciting!
I can't see this involving much more if any admin work, or I could be saying complete nonsense!

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Dear Mr. Bear,
You've shown great committment publishing the league table, thanks for all of your input.
I would like suggest a monthly league table, renewing each month, based solely on average, starting on the first day of the month and finishing on the last day.
With the current system, the more games you play, the less your average can change. With a new table each month, you have more chance of moving up and down, and so making things a bit more fluid and exciting!
I can't see this involving much more if any admin work, or I could be saying complete nonsense!

I’d go for this. (Given my fluctuating form I can foresee wildly differing league positions from month to month)

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Average 3.67 Streak 141

Wordle 341 3/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

151 plays for me now with 2 fails. 63 3s now and I wouldn't say many of them have been inspired guesses. Maybe I'm a bit of a Wordle Rain Man but I find that by eliminating certain possibilities with guess 1 and 2, it often falls into place. Ordinarily, in next to no time too. Rather than just going for common letters, I tend to keep common combinations in mind. I guess it helps that I spend my days immersed in the world of words :)

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Wordle 341 4/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟨⬛🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨⬛🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ave 4.13

Streak 37

Don’t change it, if people want to cheat let them.

In my head I’m just in a league with you. We have been almost neck and neck throughout.
Until my starter Word comes good that is!
(I have just checked my excel sheet table, even if I get it in one tomorrow, I’ll still be on 4.1!)

6D84C8AE-6693-4B77-9A4C-A01761BBD3AF.jpeg

Attachments

• 12F7BA9B-AB49-42BF-84AA-A2850B118039.jpeg
    12F7BA9B-AB49-42BF-84AA-A2850B118039.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 48

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After a wild slash, 3!

WWWWW