Anyone been to Antigua?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Off to Antigua next month for our honeymoon.

Any tips on what to do or see, from anyone that's been?

Ta very much

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Went in 2008. Its okay if you fancy lounging about by the pool and the beach at an all inclusive. The so called 'tourist sites' are all a bit meh in my opinion. Take US dollars rather than the local East Caribbean Dollar too.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Went there part of a cruise. Wasn't a lot there got shown where the famous cricketers used to live when a kid, the cricket ground they were building for the World Cup. Takes one hour on a jeep to see the whole place.

Congrats on the wedding :thumbsup:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Also visited there for one day as part of a cruise last November. It was the only island where Mrs P and I did separate things.

She went off on an island catamaran tour, and I went on a cricket tour which visited the Sir Vivien Richards stadium, The Stanford Complex (although sealed up and shut down) and the Antigua Recreation Ground where we were promised a Q&A with a West Indies cricket legend. Everyone was rather chuffed when Andy Roberts appeared, and we spent a good hour with him. The tour was organised by the cruise company, but I guess there must are independent tours available. Well worth it if you're a cricket fan.

Edit; oops just noticed you said honeymoon - maybe not such a good idea to bugger off on a cricket tour then :laugh:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Apparently a beach for every day of the year, never visited them all though. Went in Januuary 10 years ago, -4 degrees at gatwick and about 9 hours later 34 degrees, phew! Similar to Barbados in as much as tourquoise blue sea, white sand, palm trees curving over just like something from a Bounty advert but 50 yards away someones burning rubbish /tyres or suchlike. Very friendly people though and would deffo go back to the Carribbean. Enjoy.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I got married there mate, a stunning island with fantastic beaches, can't wait to go back

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Honeymooned there in 2003. Lovely beaches beautiful weather and nice people. Not a lot to do there but what do you really want to do on your honeymoon.

Have a great time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Congratulations !

Fantastic place to go.

I'd highly recommend staying here if you haven't already booked anywhere - Cocos Hotel, an authentic Caribbean romantic boutique hotel and Antingua wedding hotel

Stunning restaurant and stunning rooms ( ignore the previous news stories about what happened ! ).

English Harbour is worth a visit.

We clubbed together with another couple and hired a car to go round the island. FANTASTIC beaches - most of them deserted.

Despite what you might think, it's a very safe island and we drove to many parts and never felt threatened.

A beautiful island with friendly people. My favourite Caribbean island that I've been to. You should enjoy it.

DOH - just re-read your post - of course you've got some where to stay already booked. Cocos restaurant accepts non-resident bookings. If you like food well worth a visit.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's a fantastic place. Been twice now. I'd certainly take local ECD, not US dollars - don't know why someone would advise otherwise. You're going to get a better exchange rate.

Really it's about the beaches and lounging around. Personal favourites were Frye's and Turner's where there are also a couple of nice beach bars that serve good local food - the grilled fish, not surprisingly, is very good. I'd certainly try to do that for a change from the all-inclusive if you want to feel that you've experienced a bit of the local atmosphere. If you're not all-inclusive, then be forewarned that food isn't cheap - even in the supermarkets - as pretty much everything has to be imported. We went the first time in May just after the cruise ships had disappeared for the season - we literally had the beaches to ourselves and the water was as crystal clear and warm as a bath. Our second trip was in January, when the weather was equally gorgeous and the water only slightly cooler.

We haven't visited the main tourist spots such as Shirley Heights and St John's because, frankly, both times we were enjoying the chilled out atmosphere at our hotels so much that we didn't bother. It's on the list for another time.

If you want to relax with friendly people, then you won't go far wrong. Enjoy.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Went there the last time England played cricket out there (test that got called off with dodgy grass)

Nice island, If a bit quiet. As stated by WS English harbour is worth a visit to look at the museum and just checkout any big boats in the harbour.

Not too much in St Johns to see.

Complete tourist trap but still worth a visit is the Sunday night party at Shirley hights, Bar-b-q, Disco and the drinks prices aren't a complete piss take. - Shirley Heights Lookout

We used the local buses a fair bit to get around, Not really buses more mini-vans, but all good. Enjoy!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
By the way, our recommendation for accommodation would be Verandah Resort and Spa. Great facilities, private beaches and next door to one of the best public ones on the island. Although you won't want to see much else if you stay there! Our other accommodation was Sugar Ridge, which is in a different part of the island near Jolly Harbour. Better located for the beaches I mentioned. It isn't on the coast and doesn't have all the on-site facilities but there is a fantastic guy who works there who will take you out each day and drop you off at a different beach and collect you when you've had enough sun, food and Wadadli's!

Steviegeorge

Nov 24, 2012
Loved it! A catamaran ride is good, you can swim with dolphins, beaches great, Shirley Heights on Sunday night is touristy but good fun

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
We went there on Honeymoon in 2007 and had a great time. Locals were very friendly, we just walked into the old cricket ground and were shown round by an old boy who had some great stories about the place. Shirley Heights was fun on the Sunday night and we also wandered round Nelsons Dockayard one day. The best thing we did was a round island tour on a catamaran called Excellence and the same company had an Eco Kayak which was great fun too - check these out - http://www.tropicalad.com/excellence.html

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Probably only do your partner, unless they get a dicky tummy, when it is probably ok to shag someone else

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Fantastic place....
Must do the round the Island Catamaran trip (choose the bigger boat as going out on to the Atlantic cost can be a little rough)....also do Stingray City and Nelsons Dockyard is also an interesting place.
Loved the snorkelling there......very envious. enjoy!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Great place, some fantastic restaurants. Go and swim with the stingrays. Enjoy the beaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports