Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion succession planning

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Micky Adams still knocking about?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Frank Lampard, Phil Neville and Gareth Southgate I would assume are the big 3 in the running to replace Potter in however many years it will be until the job becomes available. I have a lot of respect for what Dan Ashworth has already done in terms of the squad building and pathway into the first team for the younger players.

If you're right we need to double Potter's wages and add another 10 years to his contract

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can we let GP achieve something first before lining up his replacement :shrug:

Well exactly. I can't see any top Premier League chairman appointing him without something more tangible than 'promising young manager' on his CV.

Shown a lot of promise yes, but lets face it, for most of this season we have been toying with relegation, at the arse end of the Premier League.

el punal

When G Pott was installed, Dan Ashworth made the point of saying that he was on their radar as part of the club's succession planning. This, and the quite terrifying idea that John Terry might soon be given a job as a manager, got me thinking....who could possibly be on our managerial radar these days? Who will we call if Potter is captured by the Catalans? Who will be on the shortlist if Potter is poached by PSG? When he is tapped up by the Old Lady of Turin, to whom do we turn?

In short, which other managers could possibly fit in at Brighton?

No contest! Sam Allardyce it is then. :eek:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me one man stands out - Roberto Martinez.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not sure about the whole 'bringing the youth through' element, but Russell Martin seems to have MK Donks playing 'the right way' – including that goal made up of about 375 passes the other day.

Might be a bit of a left-field choice, but you never know :shrug:

Fits the good guy profile and is a local. But he wouldn't be an EPL appointment.

The club will already know who their targets are. They will have plans for a sudden Potter departure. I suspect, as some say, there could be internal prospects too.

I'm just glad we don't do the managerial bingo thing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There are certain characteristics of Russell Martin's tenure so far at MK Dons that make me think he must be at least on the radar of Albion as a potential (longer-term) replacement for Potter (and no, not just because of his previous Albion connection).

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Frank Lampard, Phil Neville and Gareth Southgate I would assume are the big 3 in the running to replace Potter in however many years it will be until the job becomes available. I have a lot of respect for what Dan Ashworth has already done in terms of the squad building and pathway into the first team for the younger players.

No, my god no, and what have you been smoking no.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Pep Guardiola.

He's had a huge advantage compared to pretty much any manager in history as far as finances goes. Barca, Bayern and Man City.
It has to be said despite this, European success hasn't been that impressive with Bayern and City, and the result last night might mean they could go out again in this round.
Great style of football though, but not sure how he would do with a club that cant match a lot of others in the same league as far as budgets are concerned.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But, as you raise this, I'm somewhat concerned that the Potter OUT lot will have their wishes granted this summer, as he's poached by a club that expects to beat 'Teams like Brighton'. Spurs spring to mind immediately.
Na look at Nuno managed to get Wolves into Europe and he’s still at Wolves three points above us.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Blimey, ^--- that is a grim list.

Lampard best of those 3.

SURELY we can do better than that cross, or am I being whooshed?

If you're right we need to double Potter's wages and add another 10 years to his contract

No, my god no, and what have you been smoking no.

Those would not be my picks. Lampard, potentially - but his next job is crucial and I doubt he'll wait long enough for it to be here. Bloom likes a certain type of managerial appointment, Hughton aside, and I think those names would largely suit what we're looking to do with the team and the club. Personally, I'd like to see Bruno in the seat or anyone who has the genuine belief they can coach this club into the top 10 and make it happen on a consistent basis.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Those would not be my picks. Lampard, potentially - but his next job is crucial and I doubt he'll wait long enough for it to be here. Bloom likes a certain type of managerial appointment, Hughton aside, and I think those names would largely suit what we're looking to do with the team and the club. Personally, I'd like to see Bruno in the seat or anyone who has the genuine belief they can coach this club into the top 10 and make it happen on a consistent basis.

Mmmm...Frankie Lampards Brighton.

Has a certain ring to it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sami Hyppia, anyone?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His contract is far too long as it is. If things go wrong he is pretty much unsackable.

Potter may or may not be naive but our owner certainly isn't. There will be clauses. We have discussed this one to death previously. 'Horribly wrong' would be embarrasing relegation and mid table strugglers the following Spring, too. At that point Tony might feel the project needed a new leader.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here