Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] A new alternative - dissolved in a bag

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not for me, I’ve got an oven ready deal sorted for my big exit.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I know there's been extensive tests done etc but the fact the resulting liquid basically just gets flushed down the toilet really weirds me out.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Would a burial at sea be the lowest carbon footprint? If so I'm all for that.
Only if you go on a sailboat or get someone to row you out and tip you over.

The concrete shoes would have a carbon footprint, though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would a burial at sea be the lowest carbon footprint? If so I'm all for that.
My Dad was buried at sea by the Royal Navy, but even then, the little casket of ashes, had a lead base.

Throwing bodies in the sea, especially those who died of diseases, isn't low carbon, once the fish eat the corpse.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So if your buried at sea, well your not really buried, more like cast adrift and get pushed around in the current, dragged here there and tither all over the place as fish pull you to bits, after all that where does the tombstone go ?
will there be millions of Bouys in the English channel with pictures of grandad bob on them all fading in the sunlight.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I foresee this method hijacked as an epic scene in a forthcoming Bond film

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My Dad was buried at sea by the Royal Navy, but even then, the little casket of ashes, had a lead base.

Throwing bodies in the sea, especially those who died of diseases, isn't low carbon, once the fish eat the corpse.
Assuming one could avoid using the lead base these days, surely the fish eating your body bit of it is literally zero carbon? Or am I missing something obvious here?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
This YouTube channel has a lot of interesting videos about different funeral practices:

Alkaline hydrolysis is covered around 10 minutes in:

And there is more discussion here about the difficulties of getting it approved in the states.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Assuming one could avoid using the lead base these days, surely the fish eating your body bit of it is literally zero carbon? Or am I missing something obvious here?
Dying of a disease and the fish eat you? I suppose fish and chips would be out of the question in the future.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
trash-danny-de-vito.gif

Attachments

• trash-danny-de-vito.gif
    trash-danny-de-vito.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
We seem to be very restricted in our choice of body disposal by an often hypothetical risk of spreading disease.
I'd be quite happy with a sky burial if the coroner pronounced me a healthy corpse.
Failing which anyone dying in November could reduce the carbon footprint of their cremation by being thrown on one of the many otherwise underemployed bonfires.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
If you're interested, you can read more about it here: https://resomation.com/

The challenge the proponents face in the UK is two-fold: selling the concept to the public (cost is definitely a factor here), and persuading the water companies that what will end up going in the water course is essentially harmless (eg no dna). Will be interesting to see how it progresses ...
Considering what the water companies pump out with apparent impunity any time it rains, I'm not sure they would be too bothered. And the EA is massively underfunded, not too many questions will be asked - especially if there's a sizeable profit in it for someone.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here