[Brighton] £40 fine for 'idling' your car

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
What kind of plonker parks and keeps their car idling? Never mind a fine, requisition of their licence seems reasonable.
The type who arrange to meet their family member after a game at the Amex on the road, bridge or roundabout to the east of the stadium. Utterly bewildering that they keep on doing this causing no end of issues for people that have paid for parking and want to get on home. I've even seen disabled people unable to get past some morons that think this is a suitable place to park. I'd remove their licenses and reposes the vehicle then publicly execute the driver.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This has been in force in London for a while you are meant to turn of your engine at railway crossing etc no one ever does unless they have stop start and never seen anyone try and police it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What if you're parking up on the A27?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Most people idling are usually already committing the other offence of parking on double yellows. Sit outside any chain coffee or fast food outlet and the wardens annual cost will be paid for on day 1. People are that lazy and from what I can see also too stupid/selfish to learn from. I’m all in favour of frankly! Helps pay for something else :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They’d do well to focus on parents doing the school run. Many around my area seem incapable of turning their engines off while they drop off/wait for their little darlings. No excuse for it.
This.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
There is an actual traffic offence and has been for many years of 'Quitting a motor vehicle ' but this requires the driver/operator of the vehicle to leave the vehicle whilst it is still running. I don't ever recall using it during my time in the police over 21yrs. Is the local council using this offence as a basis or have they just made this one up to screw even more money from motorists?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Cheltenham lib dems did the same thing.
By closing the main ring road through the centre of town to the normal car..

This caused all other small roads gridlocked causing so much more pollution.

The conservatives then opened it back up but narrowed the main ring road in the centre to now gridlock the main centre area..

The bus lanes.. have gridlocked the main ring road of Cheltenham making the centre more polluted than ever!

It takes between roughly 30 to 90 minutes to go thru 3 miles of traffic that should only take 10 minutes like it used to!
A few years ago, Truro council had the bright idea of putting a non-driver in charge of transport. His big move was to introduce a bus lane, which inevitably led to a three-mile queue of standing traffic, all the way back from the next village. Even the buses were delayed. You can imagine the pollution. The scheme lasted about three days, but you can still see red paint on the road. It’s known as “Bert’s Folly”.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
What kind of plonker parks and keeps their car idling? Never mind a fine, requisition of their licence seems reasonable.
People that have to get the closest spaces to the school, then wait half an hour for the kids. With the engine running, and the phone to keep them occupied. Actually, isn’t that an offence too?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Can't lie, if I'm early to an appointment and have to sit in car I do turn the engine off but then after 5mins the car automatically turns the radio/podcast etc off to save the battery.... and after a min the pure silence is painful, so I have to turn the engine on for a few mins then turn the engine off again :lol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think it's @Notters who, in the past, has posted really interesting things on air quality (his profession I believe)

I believe the general jist is that if you slow all the traffic down and cause queues of cars, then air quality inevitably gets worse.
You mean like narrowing North Street to a single lane each way without overtaking space meaning buses have to queue behind each other as each stops at a different stop :facepalm: Now I wonder which administration did that ? Ahhh .....

Edit - beaten to it by @Seagull58

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
SAKE.

How else am I supposed to charge my phone whilst waiting outside Matalan for the doris to get me a new tracky ?

Screw you Lucas

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Delivery drivers? Of which there is an ever-growing number?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Yet another traffic offence the council have made up
tts almost like living in the old USSR , getting just as many regulations as they had .
Mind You the greens agenda is like reading the communist manifesto

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
So you get in a car and the windows are fogged up.

Is it less illegal to idle and wait for the windows to clear, or drive away with a restricted view?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports