Third highest Albion attendance

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think that the 100,000 FA cup final was the highest attendance to ever watch the Albion and with the 92,000 at the replay possibly the second. What would have been the third highest?
I cannot find what the attendance for the Charity Sheild final was in 1910. They had massive attendances in those days and I think that the 1913 Charity Shield final between Sunderland v Plymouth is still the highest attendance record.
Do any of you know what is the Albions third highest?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The Charity Shield was only about 13000, so would the third highest be the play off final against Brizzle City (65167)? The Notts County final was just under 60000.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Notts County Play-off final 59,940
Newcastle away in 1930 56,469
Chelsea Cup replay in 1967 54,852
Sheff Wed semi-final in '83 54,627
Man Utd in '79 52,641
Spurs in 1977 - 48,613
Liverpool in the 83 cup run 44,868
Corinthians in 1923 - 43,760
Arsenal in 1980 43,202
Liverpool in 1980 42,747
Man Utd - 10/1/81 42,208, 3/1/81 42,199, 28/11/81 41,911
Nigeria XI in 1981 40,000

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was that the year we had 25, 000 down, and it kicked off everywhere?:glare:

That was the time though when your brave fans were spitting at woman and children in the north stand. What a bunch of gobby cowards they were.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
No.

That was the away game - all those on the list are away (or neutral) attendances

By the way, there is NO WAY you brought 25,000 down in 1978

:O:O:O:O:O.

How many then?

Did we take the North Stand?:lol::dunce:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
:O:O:O:O:O.

How many then?

Did we take the North Stand?:lol::dunce:

PD

According to my Old Man. Spurs did in fact "take" the Northstand back in 77/78 in the hour before kickoff.

But just before "official" kick off, things changed, and apparently to quote Bjørge Lillelien

“ your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating” !!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was that the year we had 25, 000 down, and it kicked off everywhere?:glare:
Spurs were allocated the North-east Terrace but still managed to get over the fences and into the North Stand where they ran amok. Loads of Brighton fans got a pasting that day even those trying to get away from the carnage. I think there was only about 3000 Spurs fans but maybe wrong.

Spurs were allocated the North-east Terrace but still managed to get over the fences and into the North Stand where they ran amok. Loads of Brighton fans got a pasting that day even those trying to get away from the carnage. I think there was only about 3000 Spurs fans but maybe wrong.

I was in the North Stand that day, but didn't know they scaled the fences - must have been before I got in. Managed to avoid any calamity, but must have been apprehensive as I remember nothing of the match or even the result.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
They may have had only 3000 tickets but I reckon there was at least twice that number in the ground.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

SoG

You partly right. Spurs did get into the Northstand and many innocent Brighton fans, mainly the old boys and youngsters were forced into the North West corner. Many were absolutely petrified. However, according to my Old Man something then "happened" about 15 minutes before kick off involving the fans. If this thread was not about 3rd highest attendences I would elaborate further. It is an interesting piece of Albion folklore!!

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
PD

According to my Old Man. Spurs did in fact "take" the Northstand back in 77/78 in the hour before kickoff.

But just before "official" kick off, things changed, and apparently to quote Bjørge Lillelien

“ your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating” !!

I've been told by many Honest people who were there that day, and they say otherwise.:blush:.

3000???:glare:

Your thinking of a different game. At least 15, 000 down, and a large lot of them down in town on tut friday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports