[Cricket] The village / amateur 2024 CRICKET thread...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Merstham CC 4s v Trinity Mid-Whitgiftian CC for me tomorrow (weather permitting) in a friendly.

We've already beaten them in our Division 6 East Surrey league fixture a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it.
I’ve played there! Used to play for Battersea Ironsides 3rds against Merstham a lot. But have decided my league cricket days are long behind me now…

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Real baptism of fire for my son making his men's cricket debut a couple of months short of his 14th birthday, but plenty of positives to take. He was batting 7th and we were in to bat first. The openers started well putting on a quick 32 before the first wicket fell. 32-1 became 32-3 as their bowler took a hat-trick, then the same bowler grabbed a 4th wicker to leave us 33-4. A bit of resistance followed but we were soon 47-5 with the opposition bowler taking his 5th of the match.

Time for my boy to come in, facing half an over from someone who had already taken 5 wickets and dismissed 3 of the team for ducks was a daunting task, but he defended well, getting bat on all three balls. He faced another over from the same bowler and defended everything very well, thankfully that was the last over he could bowl. At the other end the batsman was having a decent game and a few boundaries had started to flow. Change of bowler and unfortunately a change of luck for the boy. He was starting to bat with a bit more confidence and got hold of one, but the bowler managed to adjust his position and take a smart c&b. No runs scored for the boy but part of the second highest partnership of the match for us as we were now 70-6, he'd defended well and enabled the guy at the other end to take the risks, exactly what his captain asked him to do. However that was to be it really, this new bowler took 3 more wickets and we ended up being bowled for 87.

It didn't get much better in the field. The opponents took the game to us, they rattled off the runs inside 7 overs for no loss of wicket. 13 fours and a 6, very little chances offered up. My son did put a very difficult catch down, it was low down, his fingers were pretty much brushing the grass as he took it but he could close his hand quickly enough and it popped back out. Disappointing result but as I say he batted well in his first game despite not getting any runs, he's used to age group T20 games where he opens and is expected to be the one looking for the big shots, so to see him play intelligent defensive shots was great, and a sign of how he's maturing as a player.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
PXL_20240519_152745339.MP.jpg

At Southwater today for a couple of hours of Sunday joy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Obligatory church picture

438101948_792987212794211_6660444155441329777_n.jpg

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Uckfield 1st lost again. We got off to a good start having been put in to bat on a slightly damp pitch. Unlike Nutley last week, the pitch played fine and our openers made a good start. Unfortunately, the runs dried up after the drinks break and when we tried to take advantage of our wickets in hand to get the scoreboard moving again in the last 5 overs it all fell apart. From a very promising position, we ended up not finishing the overs and an under pay total of 133.

Our opening bowlers were right on the money from the first over, the first 4 wickets falling cheaply and the run rate stagnant. Again, the wheels were to fall off ... both preferred change bowlers injured (one taking a catch, myself having tweaked a quad batting) meant we were short. A strong 5th wicket partnership followed, before being broken just in time for the openers to come back in to try to knock them over. Unfortunately, we just didn't have enough overs from strong bowlers - lost by 2 wickets. A strong effort though with only 3 frontline bowlers defending a low total.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thoroughly enjoyed my game at The Ring in Earlswood on Saturday. We came second but it was fun. I took two catches at mid off to remove both the openers, one of them one-handed, which raised some chuckles. I then had an infuriating time of it as opener, where I did all the hard work seeing off their opening pair of bowlers playing quite comfortably. Then in the the last of his 8 overs, he cut me in half and flicked my pads on the way through. I'm not 100% sure I had edged it, the bowler didn't appeal but their keeper and slip did. The umpire didn't raise his finger either. I'm wondering why I walked at all come to think of it, but I'd had a life when they spilled one in the slips off and it was only a friendly so off I went.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Chastening and entirely avoidable defeat, on Saturday.

Won the toss and chose to bowl - on my insistence - conditions were perfect - I knew it was going to be hooping about.

As last week, myself and our off-spinner bowled our 9 overs each right through, and after those 18 overs, the opposition were 42/5! (9/1/25/1, for me - ball was doing TOO much - the buggers were not good enough to nick it). You really just can't be losing a match from there - but we managed it.

They rallied to 193 - they did bat very deep, in fairness, and one young (Hampshire Academy) lad held it together with a really sensible 50.

Our opening GUN, who carried his bat for 136 last week, nicked off for a duck, and our other opener did the same a couple of overs later. From there it was all a bit of a squib. I chopped one onto my stumps for 14, ending the 'highest' stand of the innings (a pathetic 24, for the 7th wicket), and we ended up losing by 73 runs.

Rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports