Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service? Sunak says YES.

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 223 54.0%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 26 6.3%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 25-49

Votes: 83 20.1%
  • 50-64

Votes: 121 29.3%
  • 65+

Votes: 59 14.3%

• Total voters

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The only people that ever think it’s a good idea are the ones that are too old or too infirm to actually have to go do it themselves. It's easy to think stuff like this is a good idea when it’s other people’s lives and not yours.

Anyway, the Army is a paid job and people who really want to can even join the TA. There’s no need to force people into it.
Not so I am afraid. And with no debate.

What I suspected at the beginning of this thread - Sunak plans to bring back National Service and Community Service (IF they win the election )

”The Conservative Party has said it would bring back mandatory national service if it wins the general election.
It said 18-year-olds would have a choice of either joining the military full-time, or volunteering one weekend every month carrying out a community service.”

Crazy, self-sabotaging policy to announce before a GE imo but it does suggest the Government thinks our conventional armed forces might be under-prepared for a national emergency and so are we apparently …

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think my dad was the last wave to do it and he was born in 1936.

I'm struggling to see who this appeals to.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Not so I am afraid. And with no debate.

What I suspected at the beginning of this thread - Sunak plans to bring back National Service and Community Service (IF they win the election )

”The Conservative Party has said it would bring back mandatory national service if it wins the general election.
It said 18-year-olds would have a choice of either joining the military full-time, or volunteering one weekend every month carrying out a community service.”

Crazy, self-sabotaging policy to announce before a GE imo but it does suggest the Government thinks our conventional armed forces might be under-prepared for a national emergency and so are we apparently …

Tbh I feel that backs up my point if anything. Do you think any Tories aren’t either too old or too infirm to do national service themselves? It’s funny how they think it’s a good idea, I bet their kids manage to get out of it though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The conservatives have gone f***ing mental. They are genuinely trying to lose this election so that the winners pick up this poisoned chalice, try and fix ll their f*** ups, and then in 4 or 8 years time, they come back in on a white horse like some sort of saviours. f***ing dick heads…..
It's a complex meddly of dickheads.

You're spot on, but you need other dickheads to fall for it . . . Someone suggested recently, the tories will run away with 15 years of carnage left behind, and give Labour ( or whoever) 15 weeks to fix the lot, before sticking the knives back in . . .

scooter1

How soon is now?
It's a complex meddly of dickheads.

You're spot on, but you need other dickheads to fall for it . . . Someone suggested recently, the tories will run away with 15 years of carnage left behind, and give Labour ( or whoever) 15 weeks to fix the lot, before sticking the knives back in . . .
15 weeks to fix the lot, before sticking the knives back in . . .
this, absolutely. They‘re all twats, untrustworthy twats. Its a race to the bottom of who is less untrustworhly than the next twat

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I guess it's all part of the narrative to sow fear that we're in 'dangerous times' and they're the only party that can steer the country through those waters. It'll appeal a lot to their voter base and grab some floating conservative voters away from Reform.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My dad did it and he was born in 1939. Think his was the last year. He was a decent footballer and played for the army side which included a bunch of professionals who were also doing it.
He very much enjoyed it, but those were very very different times. Coming out of the WWII and into the Cold War.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah, the favourite policy of all those who want to train 18 year olds how to kill people efficiently

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
“young people should stop buying a take away coffee if they want to save enough to buy a house”

“Young people should lose 25 hours a month when they could be earning money to provide unpaid labour”

Interesting argument from people like my 78 year old dad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here