[Drinking] Shane Duffy - Charged with DUI

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clivebuckley

Jul 28, 2011
I agree I should get the book thrown at him but he needs help too he's got a drink problem, had it when he was with us too, he's never going to stop without help.
Pubs in Hoves profits plummeted after he left!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I once worked with a lad who was in his middle 30s and he split up from his wife when she left him for another man. He went to a village pub with another work colleague with no intention to drink anymore that two as he was working the next day. The colleague then offered him to sleep at his flat that was a walkable 2 miles away, so the lad got stuck into the booze, apparently by pint four he didn't seem to worry about work the next day, drowning his sorrows he had another three pints. When it came to close the lad said let's not walk back Its only two miles and gone midnight. He drove to his colleagues flat and then said I won't stay id rather get home so ended up driving another fifteen minutes home.
Clearly really wrong all round, but when the work colleague was asked why didn't you stop him from driving after seven pints? "I was knackered and didn't fancy the walk of two miles," then we asked the colleague, why did you let him drive another fifteen minutes, he said "I don't know I was too drunk to think about it."
The lad drivers defence was I was so drunk I really didn't know what I was doing. He did say he'd never do it again.
But having had a friend killed by a drunk driver, I did get stuck into him, if only the colleague had done that on that night.
I do believe not many just fail the test, they probably fail the test in a very big way because they get too drunk to know what they are doing.
I think a zero tolerance for alcohol should be in place so young lads can't get themselves into the "just one more pint then" routine.
Duffy may have a problem, you would like to think the club would know if he had. Hopefully he will be punished in full and given help if he needs it.
No wonder she left him – from that story alone, he seems like a right berk!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I've just remembered when an old acquaintance of mine got caught. First offence and I think blew under 70.
Acted all contrite, pleaded guilty and thought that superpower many of us share of being white and middle class would keep the still inevitable ban to a minimum.
Judge was not impressed after PC gave evidence that he fell out the car after being pulled over and that on being informed of his blood alcohol level replied "is that all?".
Two year ban. Having been in a car with him when he was sober twenty might have made us all safer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports