Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
'Russia says it's ready to review "serious" peace proposals with Ukraine'

But....but....it was only a few days ago that Putin said there was no point in peace talks.......

So what has happened in the meantime? The $60 billion of weaponry they didn't see coming?
Was it David Cameron giving the green light for British weapons to be used inside Russia*, that caused the volte-face?
The dawning realisation that modern western precision weapons (the ones given to Ukraine will be our old, surplus stock) can pick off the enemy at a safe distance?

* I understand this ruffled a few feathers in the Kremlin.

(Usual caveats apply. They're Russian, so they lie through their teeth. Whatever peace agreement that might be achieved, they wouldn't stick to it anyway).

But I note that Ukraine must stop all military activity and 'return to the roots of it's statehood'.

ie: we'll keep bits of Ukraine that we think are really Russia.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
But I note that Ukraine must stop all military activity and 'return to the roots of it's statehood'.

ie: we'll keep bits of Ukraine that we think are really Russia.
I take that to mean Ukraine must stop destroying Russia's oil refineries.

So the drone attacks are hurting you then. Thanks Maria, that's good feedback.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I think Cameron has done quite well with words and actions in relation to Ukraine so far.

I can’t forgive him for austerity or that referendum, but yes, I agree.

It might be he’s actually more competent than he’s hitherto seemed, or it could be a case of “even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.”

I don’t really care, credit (slightly grudgingly) where it’s due.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I think it has already begun. Reports of an unexplained fire at a factory owned by Diehl, the German defence manufacturer, targeting of a Norwegian military base etc.

And cyber attacks - Russia involved in a huge attack on US based Change Healthcare , estimated $1Bn cost of clean up and the CEO admitted paying a $22M ransom 🙄

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
And cyber attacks - Russia involved in a huge attack on US based Change Healthcare , estimated $1Bn cost of clean up and the CEO admitted paying a $22M ransom 🙄
Also been responsible for civilian aircraft loosing their navigation info etc.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think there was also a cyber attack on the SPD party in Germany, and something in the Czech Republic?

I noticed that Russia was starting to accuse the west of a hybrid war a few weeks/months ago. Perhaps we ought to have paid more attention to it, as accusing their enemies of the very crimes they are committing, seems to be an integral part of their maskirovka.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Sooner or later surely we're (i.e., US, Europe etc) going to have to step in and stop this pri*k and his joke army in their tracks.
I can't see any way around it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here