Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Roy Grace coming to ITV next year

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if that is because each story is only one episode. I’m not sure that can do a book justice. The typical format for most dramas is around 6 episodes, to develop characters and plot.
I found myself thinking exactly that after the last episode. I enjoy the books, am entertained by the TV versions, but couldn’t help thinking it was a mistake trying to distil one book in to one programme.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Got excited last night watching the latest Grace, as I saw my old flat on Powis Road (by the Crescent pub) where the unfortunate American cyclist got squished......

The 'Grace' books started off very well in my opinion, and then have definitely tailed off. Similar to Reacher, the ones written with his brother (not read the latest) have been so formulaic and a bit boring. Earlier Reacher were excellent

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last episode was the only actual book I have read, as stated by many seems to be flat lining

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Great to see Brighton panoramas. In a show that seems to have spent all its cash on a couple of actors, it's good that they still have money for a drone. The production is not tight. Lighting and sound and script editing is off. A good adapted screenplay with sharp dialogue and direction can make a flabby book much better. Feels rushed. Still distracting and enjoyable though - especially playing location bingo.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Got excited last night watching the latest Grace, as I saw my old flat on Powis Road (by the Crescent pub) where the unfortunate American cyclist got squished......

The 'Grace' books started off very well in my opinion, and then have definitely tailed off. Similar to Reacher, the ones written with his brother (not read the latest) have been so formulaic and a bit boring. Earlier Reacher were excellent
Agree with you about Reacher, the books were far better before Lee Child’s brother got involved, probably run out of ideas after so many books in the series.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
It's all done by smoke and mirrors. The average viewer is so busy marvelling at the shots of Brighton, that they are oblivious of the fact that the story lines are mostly implausible, and that the acting is poor. Peter James is a very clever bloke, but he'd probably make a better accountant than author.
I don't think it's better nor worse than your average ITV crime drama. As has been mentioned on here before, John Simm didn't sound overly enthusiastic about the source material in initial interviews, but the they've changed the writers for the current series and to me anyway, the first episode felt less ropey, less like an adaptation, and more enjoyable, engaging. They do make Brighton look quite nice too!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well we've watched all of them, and whilst I think 'rubbish' is a bit strong, I will settle for 'not very good'. I agree with all the criticisms; perhaps we've been spoilt recently, but when compared to the likes of Unforgotten, Line of Duty, Happy Valley and Blue Lights 'Grace' really doesn't measure up in any respect.

We only watch to see the real star - Brighton. And then only so we can say things like "Oh look there's that tyre place by the viaduct!". And even then I don't think Brighton looks that good. The weeds in the pavement!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
ITV’s adaptation of Peter James’ best-selling Roy Grace novels is getting a fifth series.

John Simm will return as Grace for another four feature-length films, which will air on ITV1, ITVX, STV and STV Player.

ITV says that series five will comprise of the following four films – Dead If You Don’t, Dead At First Sight, Need You Dead and Find Them Dead.

Also reprising their roles for series five are Richie Campbell who plays DS Glenn Branson, Zoë Tapper as Cleo Morey, Laura Elphinstone as DS Bella Moy, Brad Morrison as DC Nick Nicholl and Sam Hoare as ACC Cassian Pewe.

Series four is imminent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here