[Albion] Premier League 11-13/5/24

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I heard they're going to trial the "daylight" rule, whereby if any part of the forward (eg a trailing ankle) is in line with the last defender, then that will be considered onside.

In principal I like the idea, because it WILL lead to more goals being allowed. But in practice it not going to reduce the number of VAR reviews, because all you're doing is shifting the parameters. They'll still be drawing their little lines at Stockley Park to try and chalk it off.
This is halfway to my suggestion. Bin the fecking lines altogether. On field decision stands unless it’s clearly wrong with the naked eye.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This is halfway to my suggestion. Bin the fecking lines altogether. On field decision stands unless it’s clearly wrong with the naked eye.
But the lines and where we consider a player to be offside from don't have anything to do with one another.

There's no obvious reason why it's easier to pick the right part of a player's body on their leading side (I.e. closest to the goal) and checking if it's past the defender than it is to pick the right part of their body on the other side to see if there's "clear daylight". The only solution is to accept a significant margin of error.
I heard they're going to trial the "daylight" rule, whereby if any part of the forward (eg a trailing ankle) is in line with the last defender, then that will be considered onside.

In principal I like the idea, because it WILL lead to more goals being allowed. But in practice it not going to reduce the number of VAR reviews, because all you're doing is shifting the parameters. They'll still be drawing their little lines at Stockley Park to try and chalk it off.
Isn't it just as likely that the way teams defend adjusts and one way or another we get the same number of goals scored? If it's much easier for a player to be onside then there's less incentive to push your defenders up the pitch.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not to spark the nth goalkeeper rotation debate, but has Steele ever committed a howler on the level of the Martinez OG? Because I can't recall one as bad!
Bart has a couple I’m sure. Liverpool disallowed goal was pretty bad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports