[News] Never mind a nation of shopkeepers.........

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I must be old skool/a luddite, because I've never personally used any of them (although have partaken when someone else has ordered food in bulk) and always prefer to go and pick food up. It's also possibly because I hate the faff of ordering food on a mobile device, as opposed to actually speaking to someone. It's almost always quicker to pop out and get the food, too.

But yes, very noticeable how it has become the norm. We were out at a restaurant on NYE and, at time, drivers/riders with their Just Eat/Deliveroo packs just waiting to be filled outnumbered the actual customers in the place. It is what it is, as people would say...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Back in the eighties, after pubs shut and gone around someone's house, we'd ring up the local taxi firm and ask them to go a late night petrol station and deliver us a packet of fags, which they did for the cost of the fags plus the cab fare of said packet....

I remember doing this in the early eighties and then smoking one cigarette and falling asleep. Probably paid best part of £20 for one cigarette :dunce:

(Back in the days when a single cigarette didn't cost the best part of £20 :lolol:)

Jul 7, 2003
I must be old skool/a luddite, because I've never personally used any of them (although have partaken when someone else has ordered food in bulk) and always prefer to go and pick food up. It's also possibly because I hate the faff of ordering food on a mobile device, as opposed to actually speaking to someone. It's almost always quicker to pop out and get the food, too.

But yes, very noticeable how it has become the norm. We were out at a restaurant on NYE and, at time, drivers/riders with their Just Eat/Deliveroo packs just waiting to be filled outnumbered the actual customers in the place. It is what it is, as people would say...
I'm usually the same as then I know my food is coming straight to the door and not been driven around town going cold while others are being dropped off.

However, I'm currently recovering from surgery and not able to drive so I have treated us to a couple of meals delivered from restaurants which have been a nice change.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We don't really ever get takeaway, but on the very occasional event that we resort to Dominos, I'd always go and fetch it.

a. all the best deals are collection only.
b. I can order it online, put my shoes on, drive the five minutes to the shop, and arrive just as my order is coming out of the oven piping hot (rather than have it sit under the lamps for however long it takes for the local teenager to get back from his previous delivery on his Honda step-through).

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I drove around Brighton a bit today and Lewes Road was full of scooter delivery riders, all with L plates and all should not be on motorbikes. I really don't understand how learners are allowed to do this. You wouldn't get in a taxi with L plates on. I've ridden bikes for 40+ years and my lunacy never extended to what these people do. I shall write a strongly worded letter to someone.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I drove around Brighton a bit today and Lewes Road was full of scooter delivery riders, all with L plates and all should not be on motorbikes. I really don't understand how learners are allowed to do this. You wouldn't get in a taxi with L plates on. I've ridden bikes for 40+ years and my lunacy never extended to what these people do. I shall write a strongly worded letter to someone.
And I am absolutely certain, no doubt in my mind, that every single one of the scooters will be taxed, MOTd and insured for business use. Oh, and also that all the riders have actually paid their £34 to get their provisional moped licence.

(It is ridiculous that you can have a moped provisional licence well forever. The provisional licence should last for 12 months and then you have to take a test. If the test is failed you can get another 12 month provisional for another £34.)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you need your bike for business use or courier or delivery work (i.e. anything beyond commuting), you’ll need Business Insurance. There are three classes of Business Insurance available:
  • Class 1 Business Insurance: If you’re riding between multiple places of work or using your bike to travel to meet clients, that’s classed as Class 1 business use. Class 1 insurance is the most basic type of Business Insurance – and not suitable for courier and delivery work.
  • Class 2 Business Insurance: This offers the same protection as Class 1, but you can add a named rider to the policy who will also use the bike for business purposes (again, not courier or delivery work).
  • Class 3 Business Insurance: This motorcycle insurance type is Business Insurance for delivery drivers. This covers door-to-door selling as well as food courier insurance, as it protects both bikes and the transit of low-cost goods including food and parcels.

I wonder what percentage of motorbike insurance is Social and Domestic and what percentage is Class 3 Business, because I'm sure this isn't yet another 'business model' that doesn't actually work if the business has to pay it's true costs ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports