[Albion] If RDZ plays Steele tomorrow...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's actually 6 times we've been forced to play the second choice keeper in Premier League games.

David Button played 4 times in the 18-19 Premier League season as Maty Ryan was away on international duty.
Jason Steele played once in the 21-22 season when Robert Sanchez was suspended after being sent off against Newcastle.
Last season Sanchez played against Chelsea as Jason Steele was injured.

(well 7 times if you include sticking Lewis Dunk in goal after the red card against Newcastle)
I'd forgotten about losing Ryan for that Asian cup. Bit of a difference as that can be planned for, and we can be certain that none of our current keepers will be lost mid season to a continental tournament! The 3 I remembered was comprised of Sanchez's red card, which I incorrectly thought was 2 games, and the game where he was recalled at Stamford Bridge. Either way, it seems to be a very uncommon occurence and not an ideal squad position for a young developing keeper.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd forgotten about losing Ryan for that Asian cup. Bit of a difference as that can be planned for, and we can be certain that none of our current keepers will be lost mid season to a continental tournament! The 3 I remembered was comprised of Sanchez's red card, which I incorrectly thought was 2 games, and the game where he was recalled at Stamford Bridge. Either way, it seems to be a very uncommon occurence and not an ideal squad position for a young developing keeper.
Tom McGill, to the CONCACAF Gold Cup…?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports