Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Good point but thats not really my experience. London is a great place to live because of its richness of differences. The diversity is what makes it strong. Its not one entitiy but no city is, and the fact its has grown from the convergence of villages and towns over time makes its more fascinating. Its not for everyone, which i get, but there are always more wanting to come. I would say i live in London before i say i live in England.

Fairplay, I have been told many times by people that live there they love it, but as I say it seems a conglomerate of different small areas without an particular common experience, if you live in a new trendy part in South East London I cannot see much of a link to a person living say in a trendy part of North West London but each would say they 'live in London' and maybe both call themselves Londoners.

Anyway not sure if my points are relevant :)

A mate was down last month as he visits regularly and I mentioned that me and my wife should 'use' London far more than we do now, we rarely visit, but he assured me that with the Seafront, shopping, Pubs and street performers, Lanes and eclectic mix of people, he wouldnt venture to London to try and to replicate the experience, he just said, 'with this all going on, whats the point'.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I have mixed feelings visiting Brighton as I was a student there. Being 18-21 in Brighton and totally carefree is very different to how it is now. It's a strange twist of former youth and happy memories.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I lived in London for 16 years and got fed up with it. I found it a real grind. People obviously want to live there though, and it's certainly one of the great cities of the world. Each to their own.

Its full on. Been 24 years for me. The little things make it easier, eg short commute

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Brighton is metaphorically a pleasant district of London that has the added advantage of being by the sea. However after a few months you'l know it inside out and if you want a localish change, it's Eastbourne, Worthing etc when it gets a bit provincial. London is an endless experience of discovery for those with an open mind and if you fancy a change, you just hop on a tube, DLR, overground, bus, thameslink etc for a 10 minute ride.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Brighton is metaphorically a pleasant district of London that has the added advantage of being by the sea. However after a few months you'l know it inside out and if you want a localish change, it's Eastbourne, Worthing etc when it gets a bit provincial. London is an endless experience of discovery for those with an open mind and if you fancy a change, you just hop on a tube, DLR, overground, bus, thameslink etc for a 10 minute ride.

Good point, but what kind of experience of discovery would I find.

I will take a stab .........

West End and Theatre Land
Markets
Soho
China Town
Hub of first class restaurants and whole spectrum of drinking places.
Historic building

How am I doing ??

But as with all cities there's a hell of alot of grey in between.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its full on. Been 24 years for me. The little things make it easier, eg short commute

Where about do you live in London?

Totally agree about a short commute; I refuse to commute daily more than 30 minutes each way tops.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Markets
Soho
China Town
Historic building

How am I doing ??

The discovery element in London is endless. You cannot exhaust it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have lived everywhere but east. Now NW. Agree on the cap, My drive door to door is 20 mins. Would prefer 5 mins

I was NW as well, Harrow, Edgware, Finsbury Park and Camden Town. South London was too sprawling for me.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

Markets
Soho
China Town
Historic building

How am I doing ??

There IS a lot of grey but that's because London is so fire king big. Just scratching the surface but Chiswick House and gardens, Thames walks of Barnes, Richmond, Kew, Hammersmith, Woolwich Ferry, Woolwich foot tunnel, walk from Woolwich to Greenwich, docks, cable car from N greenwich, Canal walks, Brentford, Regents Park, Teddington Locks, Camden Locks, Kingston, River Lea walks with numerous parks e.g. Victoria Park, Olympic Park, Walthamstow and Hackney Marshes changed beyond recognition, yes you can see otters and herons it Tottenham! Holland Park [the actual park bit], Notting Hill, Chelsea, Clapham, Battersea, Islington, hampstead heath, [heaths] primrose Hill, Epping Forest, Rainham Marshes, Highgate Cemetery, Little Venice, Kilburn High Road, Shoreditch High Street, Brick Lane, Whitechapel, etc etc

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here