Harry Kewell joins Liverpool

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Leeds forward Harry Kewell will sign a five-year deal with Liverpool on Wednesday for a knock-down £5m fee.

The 24-year-old Australian international will make the switch to Merseyside, after a late hitch threatened the deal.

"The issue was the transfer fee to be paid by Liverpool to Leeds - that has now been resolved," Kewell's agent Bernie Mandic told the BBC Sport website.

"So hopefully the lawyers will sort out the legal side of things very soon."

Reports said the deal hit a last-minute hitch over Kewell's claims for a £1.5m loyalty bonus.

But Mandic rejected such suggestions and claimed the problem was due to Leeds wanting more for their star.

"It is absolute nonsense," he added. "He has not asked for any payout for the last year of his contract and to suggest otherwise is a lie.

Feature: Kewell in the crown

"There are no monies from the transfer fee from Liverpool to Leeds that will be paid to Harry Kewell.

"I have a letter signed by the chairman of Leeds giving me permission to find a club for Harry Kewell for £5m.

"Other clubs over the last few days have been prepared to pay more money but that is immaterial.

"Harry is happy with Liverpool, he has turned his back on one club that is prepared to pay 30% more in wages. The club he wants to play for is Liverpool.

They've got some great players there and exciting young players - there was just something special about Liverpool and that's why I accepted their offer

Harry Kewell

"The fact that the club was also willing to pay £9m is a sore point for some people because it would be a far more lucrative deal for Leeds.

"But I think human beings are entitled to choose their place of employment - the days of slavery are well and truly over.

"Harry asked for certain terms and conditions and the first club to meet them were Liverpool. Harry is a man of his word - when he gives his word it is his bond.

"We expect Leeds to be the same - they have given their word about what their requirements are and they have been met."

Mandic also revealed that Kewell, who will sign a £60,000-a-week deal at Anfield, would have been keen to stay at Elland Road, but a contract was never forthcoming.

"Harry still loves Leeds," he said. "He would have been more than happy to sign a similar deal as Liverpool offered him.

"But there has been no offer to Harry Kewell from Leeds to extend his contract.

HAVE YOUR SAY
If we don't change tactics, we have just wasted money on Kewell

From TrueRed Army
Join the 606 debate

"We have been repeatedly told that one was round the corner - that corner has never come."

Mandic also answered claims that Kewell has been talking to Liverpool for six months.

"Agents appointed by Leeds, or purporting to be appointed by Leeds, in December and January approached several clubs including Liverpool for the purpose of selling Harry.

"Our position has been that unless the club were willing to talk to me directly we were not interested.

"Liverpool came into contact with us two or three weeks ago and basically expressed their formal interest."

Kewell will take the number seven shirt at Liverpool - the same worn by legends Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish.

"It is an honour to have that number, I will wear it with pride and hopefully I can achieve great things in it," Kewell told Channel Nine in Australia.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
f***ing bargain, great signing for Liverpool. Cannot believe Souness put a £17 million price tag on Duff. Silly boy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I agree, Kewell is a steal at 7million
Duff surely no more than Kewell, less in my opinion.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If a proven Premiership player like Kewell goes for only £5mil, that does make any more than £2m for BZ look a tad extravagant.

No wonder I read on here that he was going to Aldershot ....

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
What are Leeds doing?

First they try to sell Robinson for only £3.2 million now Kewell for only £5 million.There not going to solve their financial problems this way and are surely going to have a relegation fight on their hands next season.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
I thought you got 10 years for rape in this country. This cutn has raped a club that has supported him since he was a boy.

Fooball clubs deserve cutns like this aussie scumbag.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bargain - quality player

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I am totally amazed that liverpool have only paid 5 million for him, I still can't beleive it.

Leeds ar ebunch of f*** ups.... look slike a trip to elland road next season in div 1 :thumbsup:

WATFORD O said:
I thought you got 10 years for rape in this country. This cutn has raped a club that has supported him since he was a boy.

Fooball clubs deserve cutns like this aussie scumbag.

fcuk you ****! :dunce:

Didn't hear you bagging Beckham going to Real. If Leeds let him go to a better club for that price, great. It's their lookout!

So many Australian Football clubs get raped by English clubs getting talented young Aussie's CHEAP or most often FREE!

FCUK YOU!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
How very true altho we paid good money for Dave Clarkson 50k i think. So we never exploited the system. We were exploited regarding barry and standing. However justice was served there (for once)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sounds like Leeds have well and truely screwed up on this one. Selling their best player for only £5m but actually only getting £3m of that as Kewell's "advisors" get the rest. I f***ing hate agents, lecherous swine out only to line their own pockets :mad:

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Who says the trasnfer system is going into meltdown. Liverpool pay £5m for Harry and only a couple fo seasons ago they paid £11m for a Blackpool Beach Donkey from Leicester!!!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Another bargain that has slipped through our fingers.

Great signing for Liverpool who have been crying out for a player like him for years. I'll actually enjoy watching them next season.

Nice to see someone else snubbing Manyoo as well.

Leeds are furious that he didn't go to Manyoo for the higher bid, but surely the fans would have HATED him going there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I tend to side with Kewell on this one as he is entitled to find the best deal for himself. Twatty, nice sentiments but I think you're living in cloud cuckoo land mate. He doesn't owe Leeds anything. If he had been crap, they'd have sent him packing with little regard for the fact that they shipped him over here in the first place. And in any case, he leaves the club for £5m, considerably less than the combined amount they have paid to him in wages and in development costs. (And the same will apply to Bobby Zamora - if he turns down a club to move to one who he feels would suit him better, we are in no position to complain)

Now if he was under contract, wanted to move, but the club wouldn't let him so he sulked or went on "strike" whilst picking up his wages, well that would be wrong.

So if Leeds had managed their affairs properly, then they would have been in a position to refuse derisory offers like £5m for Harry Kewell. It is because they have made a mess of things that they are being stripped of their star players for buttons. All a bit unfair on the current regime *if* they had little to do with Ridsdales imcompetence but don't blame the player...

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Simster, read my thread again. I said the clubs get what they deserve. Its the fans who pay and pay dearly. That £2m - where does it come from? The Fans. They, we, always end up getting f***ed by these tossers.

I know more than most that its a commercial word. I appreciate that Led could no longer afford to keep him but does that mean he has to hold a gun to their head?

Hes a ****. I like Liverpool but I REALLY REALLY HOPE THIS ENDS IN TEARS AND HE FUCKS OFF BACK TO SYDNEY.....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But in the end, the fan gets a choice - should I pay to watch this shower or should I give it a miss? Now more than ever, fans need to exercise this choice. In this instance, the fans paid that £2m but they got to watch a very talented player who fired them to a position good enough to earn Champions League football. I don't see what more he owes them?

As a fan, if you don't like it, don't pay. There's no dishonour in that. I used to go out of blind loyalty (if I could stomach it) however crap Albion were playing but nowadays I won't go if anyone at the club is taking the piss, especially if I've got a family to support and I could choose to go to the cinema (which I love doing) for a fraction of the price.

I guess what I'm saying is that however that £7m got carved up between LUFC, agent and player, it's of no concern to the fan. He's paid his money and watched the player.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Simster, you cant possibly believe that? Are you seriously saying that a fan of Leeds, whose clubs is on a knife edge (forget the reasons theyre not important in this, and anyway you could say that greedy bastards like kewell contributed) has no concern how the money is dished out?????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports