Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Camera advice

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You won't go far wrong with any Canon. This model should do all you want, and more if you use the various settings, ie speed, aperture or manual.
And...bought. :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
And...bought. :thumbsup:
Please put a few photos on here occasionally. They don't have to be David Bailey standard.
We really enjoy seeing everybody's work.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm comfortable saying this because I know you can send it straight back if you change your mind.

Imo it's.... probably not a great choice.

It's near the very bottom of Canon's EF-S range (the higher the number, the worse the EOS camera).

It's an old-school DSLR, so it's bulky.

The EF/EF-S range is dying. It's all about the RF/RF-S range now - Canon, like all other manufacturers, are focussing on mirrorless cameras.

There is actually an advantage to EF/EF-S - second-hand lenses are cheap... because everyone is selling them off.

I would recommend finding a bit more, and buying this:

Amazon product

It's smaller and mirrorless (more modern/future-proof). Be aware, it's still bottom of the range. Cameras aren't cheap!

Disadvantage is that RF/RF-S are currently way more expensive - but they'll come down in time.

PS FWIW, the 2000D has been cheaper in the past...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This is a great option too.

Amazon product

It's Micro 4/3rds format - a Panasonic/Olympus tech, which is a little old now.

Smaller sensor than EF-S, but good enough for most purposes. And means the bodies/lenses are small.

This one is pocketable - and v v cool.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please put a few photos on here occasionally. They don't have to be David Bailey standard.
We really enjoy seeing everybody's work.
I have put the odd one up in the past, with the old camera. I love the photog thread, and of course your contribution to it :thumbsup:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I'm comfortable saying this because I know you can send it straight back if you change your mind.

It's near the very bottom of Canon's EF-S range (the higher the number, the worse the EOS camera).

The EF/EF-S range is dying. It's all about the RF/RF-S range now - Canon, like all other manufacturers, are focussing on mirrorless cameras.

There is actually an advantage to EF/EF-S - second-hand lenses are cheap... because everyone is selling them off.

Amazon product

It's smaller and mirrorless (more modern/future-proof). Be aware, it's still bottom of the range. Cameras aren't cheap!

Disadvantage is that RF/RF-S are currently way more expensive - but they'll come down in time.

Hmm, I think that’s a little bit mean. The offer price is £374 which is decent for this model. Sure, there are obviously superior cameras out there but as you say yourself, the R… range is "currently way more expensive." In most cases, well into 4 figures. I didn’t read the original question the same way you did. HWT isn’t a gear freak by the sound of it. He’s looking for a half-decent DSLR at a reasonable price. As you say yourself, the plus point is that there are loads of good used lenses on the market these days. These lenses and camera have been taking great photographs for a long time.

I’ll repeat what I said earlier, that it’s far more about the photographer and a willingness to learn, than about the camera. You can blow £10K tomorrow on a pro camera and a great lens or two, and still be a sh*te photographer!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm, I think that’s a little bit mean. The offer price is £374 which is decent for this model. Sure, there are obviously superior cameras out there but as you say yourself, the R… range is "currently way more expensive." In most cases, well into 4 figures….

Mean? I’m giving honest advice, based on considerable experience of buying and using amateur and pro-amateur gear.

ALL camera ranges run into four figures. I gave an example of a superior camera and lens which costs <£100 more.

BTW, here's a feature comparison 2000D v Canon R100: https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/canon-2000d-vs-canon-r100

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Amazon product

Cheers W. I find all this malarkey a bit overwhelming. In my case a bulky camera is probably a good thing. It will make me take more care with it. I have destroyed my last three small slim cameras - I dropped one onto a marble floor in an Italian hotel; one fell out of the car door storage as I closed the door, then I ran over it; another 'went off' in its case as I was taking it out, and this damaged the mechanicals. I finally killed that one off a few weeks ago by leaving it on the patio table overnight in the rain. I am very easily distracted, and do best with undemanding but clunky machinery, and high spec is wasted on me. I'll never make use of most of the functions on my old kit. I just need to be able to take nice photos easily. Kodak Instamatic :lolol:

Ironically my favourite ever camera is a Fijika ST701, which allowed me to easily set the depth of field then adjust the aperture speed. Why don't digital cameras let me do that? A manual old school 'film' camera. I took smashing pictures with it. Even that.....I lost the cap for the battery compartment (an integral part of the battery circuit) 30 years ago and have been unable to source a replacement. Camera shops were no help (I last looked into this 15 years ago). In any case, I can't be using a nondigital camera these days. Life (and my life expectancy, let's face it) are too short. Now it sits on a shelf as an ornament.

<sigh> yes, I know.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hmm, I think that’s a little bit mean. The offer price is £374 which is decent for this model. Sure, there are obviously superior cameras out there but as you say yourself, the R… range is "currently way more expensive." In most cases, well into 4 figures. I didn’t read the original question the same way you did. HWT isn’t a gear freak by the sound of it. He’s looking for a half-decent DSLR at a reasonable price. As you say yourself, the plus point is that there are loads of good used lenses on the market these days. These lenses and camera have been taking great photographs for a long time.

I’ll repeat what I said earlier, that it’s far more about the photographer and a willingness to learn, than about the camera. You can blow £10K tomorrow on a pro camera and a great lens or two, and still be a sh*te photographer!
No worries mate. @Wozza knows me. All is good :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A colleague of mine has a £20K camera. He's a physiology professor, and a part time professional photographer, professional diver, and has his own recording studio. Despite all that talent, I find the music he makes excruciatingly unlistenable (think: the most pompous tracks by the Moody Blues, or that abomination 'Music' by John Miles), and his photos are hideously anodyne.
This is my sort of level:

1700306463587.png

1700306870264.png

1700306996849.png

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I recently bought the Sony ZV-E10 as just an every day point and click, cannot yet provide a review as I haven't the foggiest how to even point and click, annoyingly will have to read the manual :ROFLMAO:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers W. I find all this malarkey a bit overwhelming. In my case a bulky camera is probably a good thing. It will make me take more care with it. I have destroyed my last three small slim cameras - I dropped one onto a marble floor in an Italian hotel; one fell out of the car door storage as I closed the door, then I ran over it; another 'went off' in its case as I was taking it out, and this damaged the mechanicals. I finally killed that one off a few weeks ago by leaving it on the patio table overnight in the rain. I am very easily distracted, and do best with undemanding but clunky machinery, and high spec is wasted on me. I'll never make use of most of the functions on my old kit. I just need to be able to take nice photos easily. Kodak Instamatic :lolol:

Ironically my favourite ever camera is a Fijika ST701, which allowed me to easily set the depth of field then adjust the aperture speed. Why don't digital cameras let me do that? A manual old school 'film' camera. I took smashing pictures with it. Even that.....I lost the cap for the battery compartment (an integral part of the battery circuit) 30 years ago and have been unable to source a replacement. Camera shops were no help (I last looked into this 15 years ago). In any case, I can't be using a nondigital camera these days. Life (and my life expectancy, let's face it) are too short. Now it sits on a shelf as an ornament.

<sigh> yes, I know.

I didn't know the ST701, so looked it up. There's a s/h one here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166389430814

If you're clumsy, a smaller camera with a wrist strap would make more sense, no?

There are loads of good compact cameras with interchangable lenses - eg Fuji X-series, Micro 4/3rds format (Olympus; Panasonic). They tend to have lots of physical dials too.

The 2000D will probably do what you want it to do.

But it's a bit like buying a cheap estate car with a 1-litre engine and basic trim - and there's only one of you travelling. Or something.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My Sony DSLR gave up the ghost last year, and I switched to mirrorless. Not only is the camera smaller and lighter - but so are the lenses. I now have a smaller bag to go with it - or use my old bag and get more lenses in it. I no longer get an aching shoulder after having been out and about. I was apprehensive, but glad I changed now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here