Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hunter S Thompson R.I.P

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CEEFAX reporting that 'Hunter S Thompson, the American counterculture writer, has been found dead at his home in Colorado. Police said the 67-year-old shot himself. His body was found by his son.

He is best known for his 1972 account of a drug-addled Nevada trip, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Other books are Hells angels and Generation of Swine.

He pioneered "gonzo journalism" a factual style in which the writer was an essential part of the story, and was an acute observer of American life".

sauthpic.jpg

R.I.P.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
a great author RIP

:(

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
I read 'Hell's Angels' - an entertaining if at times gruesome number.

I'd love to get hold of another copy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
For a man so obsessed with his gun collection, it's perhaps no surprise that he died this way. But what a genius writer. RIP.

HST's all-time hero was Ernest Hemingway - who died aged 61, of self inflicted gun shot wounds.

HST was a god-like genius to some of us. Carried around a copy of 'The Great Shark Hunt' for YEARS. About seven hundred pages and the size of a house brick, it is maybe the finest feast of gonzo reportage you could ever buy.

(name-dropping from here on in, albeit with a reason - but you may want to look away NOW)

Me & me bruv's punk band once blagged a support slot for The Fall at Canterbury Uni (we started with a cover of The Fall's 'Frightened' which Mark E. smith later reported was 'shit'...). Which it was, to be fair. While The Fall were on stage, we had a sniff around MES's travelling bag, looking for dr*gs. Drew a blank on that front, but noted with admiration that he did have a copy of The Great Shark Hunt in there. And not a lot else. Top bloke! Great influences! & we once went to interview his collaborator, Ralph Steadman, at his castle on the outskirts of Maidstone. Just missed HST by THREE WEEKS DAMMIT. Heard some marvellous tales down in the local country pub about this six foot six mumbling and staggering American who demanded a whole range of extras not normally provided by a village pub in Kent - including generous to the point of criminality lock-ins and use of the landlord's shotgun. After the lock-ins...

To cut a dull story short, magazine stitched me up, not great fans of HST apparently, so article remains unpublished to this day. Includes transcripts of some stuff that HST bashed out on Steadman's ageing typewriter.

(If anybody's interested in publishing it, get in touch by PM)

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Fear and Loathing my favourite book by a mile.
He was inspirational writer, some of his Nixon stuff is fantastic, he f*cking hated him.
R.I.P dude.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
A great and unique writer. Strangely, considering his style, a voice of sanity and humanity in an increasingly dangerously messed up and extreme country. I will miss him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here