Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Finances

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Club Statement:

Much has been debated on this board about the club's finances in recent days and several conspiracy theories put forward.

One contributor has suggested that the club are being investigated for financial misdemeanours and as a result the Football League are withholding monies due to the club as a result of our play-off involvement.

This is absolute rubbish. The play-off money has been paid to the club; there is no FL or FA investigation into the club's finances and indeed there never has been under Dick Knight's chairmanship.

As for suggestions that the club's current directors and shareholders are profiting from the football club, this is bordering on slander and an accusation we take very seriously indeed.

We, as a club, have made no secret of the fact that our out goings (playing budget and wages, Falmer costs, Withdean costs, admin costs etc, etc) significantly outweigh our income (gate receipts, TV and sponsorship monies, commercial income etc, etc)... even with a play-off final!

It makes for a very difficult time. The difference is being made up by directors and shareholders digging deeper and deeper into their pockets; dealing with the tricky balancing act of finding funds for Falmer while also trying to provide Mark McGhee with a playing budget to cope in the Championship. It just proves Withdean has never been a long-term option.

The accounts will show you that they have stumped up approximately £7m to keep the club going through this turbulent period.

Everyone from the Chairman down is working together at the football club, and we do recognise that the vast majority of supporters are supportive. This is never taken for granted and is fully appreciated by the chairman, directors, manager, staff or players.

---

As a footnote, the club have also looked into the supposed Lincolnshire FA Official who provided the information to the contributor about the club being investigated. The Lincoln FA rep is a man named Ray Tinkler (the former referee) and has been on the FA's board for ten years, not over 50 as was stated on the thread. He is Chair of the Referee's Committee and a member of the Youth Committee. It seems extremely unlikely that he would be involved in any investigation into financial arrangements at a football club let alone talk about it in a pub.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post such a clear and comprehensive statement.

It must get right up the noses of everyone who is working so hard for the future of club to hear this sort of nonsense.

I hope that all genuine fans will continue to support the club and the board at this most important time, in every way possible - this sort of distracting nonsense does not help at all.

Thanks again!

:clap2:

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for clearing it up, Insider.

Tell everybody at the club to keep up the good work.

Regards,

Max

:clap:

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To the top - well said Insider1 I like the vast majority of fans on here are sick and tired of the crap being spouted on here that we know to be rubbish. DK and the rest of the Albion board are legends - get yourselves a picture on a t-shirt and flog alongside Gary Hart, DC, Wardy etc for £12.99 in the club shop!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A welcome statement - thank you very much for clarifying what the majority of us believed to be the truth.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Insider said:

As for suggestions that the club's current directors and shareholders are profiting from the football club, this is bordering on slander and an accusation we take very seriously indeed.

good post but worried about the above quote, NSC has pretty much been "Pub Chat" since the beginning and a couple of times come in for simular stuff almost getting the place shut down. Thing I dont like is that the 'net is supposed to be about free speech and if people are not entitled to post their opinions then we may aswell all wear blue & white tinted glasses and follow like sheep!
OK if somone posted that the members of the board or something were taking backhanders then they would need amazingly watertight proof and its not nice to read, but the club should just take it with a pinch of salt UNLESS the accuser printed into a fanzine or other medium like official newspaper letter/article etc etc. Not on the 'net!

whoops have I just opened a:
worms2.jpg

???

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Was it not said on the radio, not just on here?

if so fair enough and the club should pursue the matter and deal with it accordingly.

Glad that's all cleared up, now we can concerntrate on supporting MM and the team and chatting the normal irrelevant b*llocks we normally do on here!

Crabbers - The net is a communication device covered by many of the same slander laws etc as the press. Something posted on the net is deemed to have been written down on paper as such.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Rubbish. Libel is libel, whether it's published on the net, in the Argus or on a piece of toilet paper.

If some oddball tries, for whatever reason, to undermine the directors of the club by spreading unfounded rubbish on the net about supposed "financial irregularities", then those directors are entitled to the same legal protection as you and I.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Soton Seagull said:
Crabbers - The net is a communication device covered by many of the same slander laws etc as the press. Something posted on the net is deemed to have been written down on paper as such.

blimey did'nt know that, would've thought that would cover just official sites as in BBC News for example and stuff like that? If it means everything then i should be spending 200+ years in jail for some of the stuff I've typed up :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well said mate, the amount of whinging on this site is getting everyone down.

It is nice however to get statements from the Club, I appreciate that legally we are customers rather than owners, but issues such as REMF, the 40 notes fund, the unpaid work done by people such as Paul Samrah etc indicate that we are the spiritual owners, and care passionately about the Albion.

PR could be a little better, and the fact that you took the time to post your comments are a step in the right direction. In the abscence of real news, some people start to make it up on the basis of 'a bloke down the pubs brothers hamster told me etc'

Keep the faith

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Why are you all falling for this. The club is just telling you what you want to hear and making threats. I for one hope truth seekers like Bens Grandad are put off by this clumsy scaremongering and disinformation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Club Finances

CrabtreeBHA said:
OK if somone posted that the members of the board or something were taking backhanders then they would need amazingly watertight proof and its not nice to read, but the club should just take it with a pinch of salt UNLESS the accuser printed into a fanzine or other medium like official newspaper letter/article etc etc. Not on the 'net!

Sorry, got to disagree. I think the club and the board have every right to defend their good name if it feels it has been subject to serious allegations. NSC is not just 'on the net', it is probably THE forum linking the fans to the club. As such it is massively influential. The trust between the club and the fans is a fragile and critical thing and Ben's Grandad's recent posts have clearly been designed to sow seeds of mistrust and unrest. It would be very interesting to know what his agenda has been in doing this. Apart from anything else, it wouldn't be the first time that The Argus has picked up on something said on NSC, a sub-editor has added a crass headline, and next thing you know it's given ammo to the NIMBYs and other enemies of the club. Good to see Insider putting the club's position on record.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
This did seem to hit a nerve though didn't it. It's a shame they haven't been so quick to knock on the head other important matters in the past when rumours have spiralled out of control on NSC.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dear insider

Whilst it is welcome that you put the record straight, I do not think anyone would suggest categorically that Directors and club officials are lining their pockets. In fact, judging by the fact that the last home gate fell below 6k I understand that the only way our club remains financially solvent is for individuals to contribute out of their own pockets.

In fact, I would suggest that give or take a few clubs, this is commonplace throughout all the divisions in the British leagues.

I think where the problem lies is that there are many on this board who think the current owners can do no wrong whatsoever following the Archer era.....there are those who think that the current owners are the spawn of Satan and some of those, like myself who have been watching football for over 30 years and have seen many owners come and go and do not hold any particular loyalty.

You must understand the great feelings of unease felt by supporters at the length of time taken to provide a new ground following the sale of the Goldstone by the previous owners. We see other clubs with new stadiums coming on line and wonder why it has taken so long in our case, and we are still no nearer to the ground being built.

We all call ourselves fans and feel passionately about our team, but you must understand that it is the team FIRST AND FOREMOST that is in the minds of the fans, not the owners of the club.

We understand the tremedous pressure you are under to get the ground built and rumours like the one above concerning the play-offs are mischief making at worst, but with all repect, that is your job. Most of us have boring 9 to 5:30 jobs that we have for 40 odd years and then we retire...you have the chance of being in the public eye and take the plaudits when things go right....your jobs are to be envied by us mere mortals.

"Puts on tin hat and waits for the flak"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here