Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pubs - YOUR TOP 10

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Criteria: Quality of beer, atmosphere, friendliness of staff - no other. Other criteria are mere footnotes...

My not necessarily top 10, but pretty decent 10 are, in no specific order -

- Evening Star
- Basketmakers
- Lord Nelson
- Battle of Trafalgar
- Greys
- Heart in Hand
- Rose Hill Tavern
- The Crescent
- London Unity
- Cricketers, The Lanes (fair play, they do look after the Harveys in there)

Can't include Pedestrians (bitter is not good), nor the Cleveland (miserable staff), nor the Waggon & Horses (always a weird conspiratorial atmosphere in there). Avoid the new Preston Park Tavern like the plague - well poncey.

There may be other which are just off my patch that I don't know about. Someone remind me...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Greys, Rose Hill Tavern, Great Eastern, The Conqueror, Battle of Trafalgar, The Windmill, Pub with no name (for their roasts alone), Basketmakers, Fiddlers Elbow and the Setting Sun currently make up my top ten.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I don't drink in Brighton often but I want to join in anyway! So I'll go for ten anywhere.

The Red Lion, Hooe
The Bull Inn, Battle
Fiddlers Elbow, Brighton
Lloyds, Grimsby
Beach Tavern, Pevensey Bay
Seven Stars, Robertsbridge
Bo-Peep, Hastings
The Park Bar, Glasgow
Great Eastern, Brighton
The Flying Scotsman, Kings Cross.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
it's got to include the weatherspons at the marina
if only because it has 2 kings beers(part of the family behind king and barnes) both much better than that harveys muck from lewes.

give it a try man of harveys

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
northstandnorth said:
it's got to include the weatherspons at the marina
if only because it has 2 kings beers(part of the family behind king and barnes) both much better than that harveys muck from lewes.

give it a try man of harveys
What a sad moment this is - I can't believe there are fellow Brighton & Hove Albion fans who openly admit that they can feel this way... :down:

Wetherspoons + Marina + Lack of consideration for Harveys = No dignity or self-respect

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Last edited:

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
i know its a wetherspoons,but you have GOT to admit king and barnes was a much better brewery and had a finer stable of beers than that lewes outfit.

and it is worth the visit to try 2 of the lesser kings beers.the pride of sussex is the RED RIVER ALE brewed by the railway tracks of horsham and it would be even worth a trip to the marina to try ANY of them

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Billy the Fish said:
Can anyone confirm what has happened to this place. I tried to go in there a few weeks back and it looked pretty derelict

Nnnnooooooooooooooo!:eek: :ohmy: :( :nono: :down:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
northstandnorth said:
i know its a wetherspoons,but you have GOT to admit king and barnes was a much better brewery and had a finer stable of beers than that lewes outfit.

and it is worth the visit to try 2 of the lesser kings beers.the pride of sussex is the RED RIVER ALE brewed by the railway tracks of horsham and it would be even worth a trip to the marina to try ANY of them
King & Barnes (when it existed) could boast some fine ales, indeed on a par with Harveys (a little more respect than 'that Lewes outfit' if you please). So no, I won't admit they had a 'finer stable' - they could each hold their own.

A trip to the Marina is definitely NOT a place to go to for real ale, and I wouldn't trust Wetherspoons to pull a decent pint. It's outside their remit to look after their beers properly.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Billy the Fish said:
Can anyone confirm what has happened to this place. I tried to go in there a few weeks back and it looked pretty derelict

dont say that! been saving my 50p up!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Billy the Fish said:

Was still going about a month ago, no idea if it's shut down since. You sure it wasn't just how it normally looks.....derelict!?!

I can confirm the Griffin on Clerkenwell Road is still going strong though as I was in there last night.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Arthur said:
Was still going about a month ago, no idea if it's shut down since. You sure it wasn't just how it normally looks.....derelict!?!

I can confirm the Griffin on Clerkenwell Road is still going strong though as I was in there last night.

Can we have a thread for the worst pub in Sussex so I can vote for the Crowborough Cross?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
bhanutz said:
dont say that! been saving my 50p up!

50p you tight fucker? Those girls are worth a pound of anybodys money. Especially when they rub their snatch on the end of your nose.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Timbo said:
Can we have a thread for the worst pub in Sussex so I can vote for the Crowborough Cross?

You can, but only if I can vote for the chequers in Battle if only for the pub quiz that goes on for a month.

Round 73 is a picture round......

*groans*

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My faves, in no particular order (except the top one):

Kings Head, Fishersgate
Red Lion, Shoreham
Cricketers, Southwick
Romans, Southwick
La Cala, Southwick (perfect in the summer)
The Sussex, Brighton
Market Inn, Brighton
The Crab Inn, Shanklin
The Caxton, Brighton
Swiss Cottage, Shoreham

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Timbo said:
50p you tight fucker? Those girls are worth a pound of anybodys money. Especially when they rub their snatch on the end of your nose.

not last time I looked they weren't!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here