Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speculate to accumulate

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I know all the money arguements etc but surely its time to get a striker who can hold up the ball and bring Leon more into the game in order to stay in this league.

We hardly ever look like scoring and theres a long way to go. I dont think Falmer will be consistently filled by visiting Div 1 clubs so it is essential that we stay in this league so we must get a striker by hook or crook.

Perhaps fund it by selling Harding who in my humble opinion is a case of the emperors new clothes. Play Mayo or Watson when fit/

Anyway

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Oh no not another dillusioned fan who wants us to stay in this division. Haven't you learnt anything ....our season ticket money, all monies spent on Merchandising etc is to pay for the people who will (????) get us Falmer. It is NOT to pay for people on the pitch. You give me the impression you support a football team and want to see us score goals. I think you need to have a seriuos re-think.

You need to get your head around the prospect of lower division football (hopefully conference as there are loads of grounds i haven't been to) in an new but half empty mini stadium.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Stinky Kat said:
I know all the money arguements etc but surely its time to get a striker who can hold up the ball and bring Leon more into the game in order to stay in this league.

We hardly ever look like scoring and theres a long way to go. I dont think Falmer will be consistently filled by visiting Div 1 clubs so it is essential that we stay in this league so we must get a striker by hook or crook.

Perhaps fund it by selling Harding who in my humble opinion is a case of the emperors new clothes. Play Mayo or Watson when fit/

Anyway

I agree Stinky we need to sort it out somehow but you are new on here so be prepared for a lot of aggression against this post

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Stinky,

Come on, if we can't afford Iwelumo's hotel bill then how can we possibly afford wages of a striker??!!:eek:

Virgs has done well as an emergency striker but lacks the natural instincts of a player who is used to playing there. You can see that Leon gets frustrated when, and this is only occasionally, he moves into space before the pass and does not get seen by Virgs.

Perhaps with some managerial changes in this League (Leics and Wolves) there will be somone out of favour who could do us a job. Though I'm not a great fan Trevor Benjamin might not be a bad suggestion??

:lolol: :thumbsup:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
binary said:
Stinky,

Come on, if we can't afford Iwelumo's hotel bill then how can we possibly afford wages of a striker??!!:eek:

Virgs has done well as an emergency striker but lacks the natural instincts of a player who is used to playing there. You can see that Leon gets frustrated when, and this is only occasionally, he moves into space before the pass and does not get seen by Virgs.

Perhaps with some managerial changes in this League (Leics and Wolves) there will be somone out of favour who could do us a job. Though I'm not a great fan Trevor Benjamin might not be a bad suggestion??

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Yep! Bring back Big Trev. He's just what we need.

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
Next 5 home games, in November and December, are all within our capability of winning, which would put us a lot nearer the 50 point mark, if we have a striker who can score. Surely we can loan a striker for 3 months.???

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
3gulls said:

Heard he was a bad influence on Leon off the pitch and an incident at Grimsby the night before the game nearly lead to him being sent back early

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Telboy said:
Next 5 home games, in November and December, are all within our capability of winning, which would put us a lot nearer the 50 point mark, if we have a striker who can score. Surely we can loan a striker for 3 months.???

Yes the next few home games are crucial to our survival

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Auditor said:
Heard he was a bad influence on Leon off the pitch and an incident at Grimsby the night before the game nearly lead to him being sent back early

So he can forge a relationship with Leon. Even better, get him back now! :drink:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
We seem to do well loaning players from Chelsea eg Knight and Nicholas. I wonder if they have any kids scoring for their reserves or youth team?

Anyone know what the Chelsea connection is. Perhaps Dick and martin could invite Roman down for a day at the seaside, its worth a try!

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
3gulls said:

We only got Big Trev cos Micky gave him to us. Don't forget Mansfield...... yes mansfield, out bid us in terms of a deal when we got him last time. It was only MA wheeling and Dealin on our behalf that clinched it. Now that MA is not there, there's no way we will get hold of him. It's got to be a cheap conference striker or a youth team player i'm afraid.

MM has already stated that we don't have the funds for an experienced player on loan so an inexperienced one it has to be. Never mind.

Firstly SK if you "know all the money arguments" then you already know why we can't splash out. Given we are skint, finding a new striker for bugger all is very tough, but MM has stated several times that he is working hard to try and acheive this. We are all aware of the need for a big striker, if you know where we can get one for free, or failing that, where we can get the cash to splash, then please let us all know.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Lokki

Well we could sell some of the older players (eg Nathan Jones - he dont play much) or the young 'talent' (Dan Harding) for the right price and use the money on playing budgets cause if we dont stay in this division its going to be hard filling that new ground or even convincing fatty prescott that we need it. How often is Withdean not full in the championsip, its only leeds and wolves so far who have sold it out.

We got to question the club and we have to ask for the playing side to improve. Go forwards swim like a salmon up the stream.

SK if you (or anyone else) can find someone willing to pay a fee for NJ or DH I for one would be over the moon. It's not gonna happen mate. I agree with your sentiments but I live in the real world.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Saint Lennard said:
It's got to be a cheap conference striker or a youth team player i'm afraid.

MM has already stated that we don't have the funds for an experienced player on loan so an inexperienced one it has to be. Never mind.

I understand we have less than two pennies to rub together but surely there is a striker either in the Premiership or a bigger club elsewhere (and I don't mean Mansfield or Donny Rovers) that has a player or number of players coming back from injury who need first team football? A number of these will pay some of the wages if not most just to get the first team footy.

Do we not have connections at other clubs? MM palyed for quite a few and has managed as many. so he must have a few friends in the games even if many of the fans of his ex-clubs don't like him!!

Alternatively, anyone know the whereabouts of Mike Small, Kevin Bremner or other legands from the past?? I know they'll be cheap!! I do not include Dick Tiltman, Mark Farrington or Craig Maskell in that list!

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Lokki 7 said:
SK if you (or anyone else) can find someone willing to pay a fee for NJ or DH I for one would be over the moon. It's not gonna happen mate. I agree with your sentiments but I live in the real world.
Lokki7 oh football guru, isn't Harding u21 and therefore means we will get something for him. They may not be willing to pay but will have to...... Now there's the real world.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Saint Lennard said:
Lokki7 oh football guru, isn't Harding u21 and therefore means we will get something for him. They may not be willing to pay but will have to...... Now there's the real world.

need to pay soon - hes out of contract at the end of the season

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Sell some of the older players!" Classic! The best we can do is release them and get them off the wage bill. If they're not good enough for us then they're only going to be good enough for a lower division team and you may be surprised to learn that they haven't got any money either. If we're going to sell anybody it has to be the likes of Harding to Everton or Cardiff for 500,000. Then we can get a striker.

As St Lennard says we need to spend all the money on the ongoing Falmer battle and just staying alive. If we don't sell one of the good players to a bigger club we'll just have to hope for something like Macphee coming back from injury a better player.

Well done St Lennard. From some of your other posts I thought you were a dullard with no grasp of reality who was quite happy for us to go bust so long as we made the team a bit better before we did so. Apologies.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Auditor said:
need to pay soon - hes out of contract at the end of the season

He is Under 24 so we are entilted to some cash for him.

I suspect he is going in January, the rumour mill after the Leeds game was his agent has told him not to sign the contract, we had turned down a bid from Cardiff and are waiting for the transfer window to open to see what Everton are going to offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here