The Argus - Charity of the year - REMF

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The way I see is that this charity is the charity of NSC, it not anyone one person's charity it is a collective effort and was borne on NSC on 9/11 to recognize one of its own. It is a BHAFC charity but NSC in particular and one everyone can be very proud of. 9/11 changed my life for ever and I am honoured to chair this charity but everyone is involved and for me for the REMF to be shortlisted and even better win , to see Doug and Laura Eaton take to the stage to accept the honour in Robert's name would be wonderful.

Closing day today.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund was borne from the terrorist attacks in New York on 11/9/01 when Robert Eaton an avid Brighton & Hove Albion supporter was working in the Twin Towers and was one of the 67 Britons who died that terrible day.

The fund came together with a special charity football match in November 2001 when Brighton & Hove Albion FC supporters and Crystal Palace FC supporters put aside fierce rivalry to play in Robert Eaton’s honour. The fund supports children to play football in the name of Robert Eaton and supports youngsters from 5-16 who may not otherwise be given the opportunity or resources to play.

We have given a 3 year funding package to Los Peladitos from Queen’s, New York to 230 Hispanic under privileged children.

In the last couple of years have given support and funding to 7 local football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area, Fishersgate Association, St George United, Soutwick Dynamo’s, ASC Strikers, Fishersgate Flyers, Peacehaven Meridian FC and a club in Croydon called Wickham Wanderers has last year been given four sets of brand new kit in recognition of the fantastic support Crystal Palace fans have given.

In December 2006 , The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund gave a 3 year coaching package to youngsters in Mali , Africa to play football and be coached. These children are orphans as their parents have been taken by the Aids crisis.

The fund raised £ 25000 in the few months after 11/9/01 and we have played 5 anniversary football matches, 3 at Withdean, the home of Brighton & Hove Albion and 5 golf days and the fund has raised over £ 45000 in total from matches, donations and auctions.

The fund will continue to organize an annual football match and golf day and is about to launch an on line auction.

We are looking for donations such as signed football shirts, balls and memorabilia from the 92 league clubs.

We are keen to continue to support local football clubs for children from 5-16 years old in the Sussex and Croydon areas in the future.

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund are planning the 6th annual football match for late April / Early May 2007 and the 6th annual Golf day for Summer 2007.

This fund has given pleasure to hundreds of children from New York, Africa, South Africa, Brighton and Croydon who may not have had the opportunities to play football. What better way to honour Robert Eaton’s memory.

All Brighton and Hove Albion and Crystal Palace supporters and all the people who have helped or donated can be very proud of this fund and what they have done. It just shows what can be achieved as a beacon of light from such a terrible tragedy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is it most votes that win Charity of the Year, or do the votes get you on the shortlist and the actual title gets decided by a panel of judges?

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for charity no. info, allowing quick find on Charity Commision website:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?remchar=&chyno=1092631

I was looking for this because couldn't find comment on NSC about making donations go further by making use of Gift Aid.

If you are a tax-payer, and report your gifts in your tax return, then giving £7.80 would mean REMF eventually gets £10.00. I you are a higher rate taxpayer, you can get a reduction in your tax paid, which you can either use to reduce your £7.80 cost, or add to the £10.00 received.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports